Introduction: Making a White Board
My wife wanted a white board in the kitchen and since I enjoy making things i thought why not save a little money and make my own. This is similar to other designs you may have seen in that it uses corner points to hold the board in place. The difference here is that it is modular to fit your needs!
Included is a design for holding a standard white board marker, a hook to hang a rag on, and a blank face to hide the holes. However, you can easily import the "BlankFace.stl" file into any editing software and add on whatever additional pieces you might want. You could have your team's mascot, your favorite cartoon character, or maybe your family name. I look forward to seeing what folks do with this.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: What You Will Need
- The 3D printed parts
- White board
- 4 X #6 screws (dry wall anchors optional)
- Box cutter
- Straight edge
- Screw driver
- A small level (I used an app on my phone)
You should be able to get the 3D printed parts off one of the manufacturing websites if you don't have a friend with a 3D printer. I printed these in PLA and it cost about $1.50 in materials.
The white board can be bought at most hardware stores in various sizes. I got mine at Home Depot for $10 for a 2'x4' piece. This allowed me plenty of remaining white board for additional boards around the house.
Step 2: Install the Board
There are various ways you can install the board. However, i chose to use all four corners with one screw in each corner.
- Measure out how wide you want to cut the board.
- Using the straight edge and the box cutter, cut the white board to the appropriate size for your use.
- Start by positioning the bottom left corner piece where you want the board to be positioned.
- Make sure to not tight the screw too much as you will want to allow the corner piece to rotate
- put in the white board to use for positioning
- using your level rotate the white board and mark the position for the other three corners
- Install the bottom right corner piece
- tighten your bottom two pieces
- Install the top two piece
- Snap on your attachment pieces and you are done!
Participated in the