Man of La Mancha Crooked Sword

About: I'm just an engineering student with a little spare time.

Yet another prop for the school play. This sword has more function as a wine opener than a sword but oh well. The sword was a little more difficult than I thought it would be because of the cork swirl, but it was still pretty easy.

It took about 5 hours to make and cost me about $20.

I apologize for the quality of the photos in this tutorial, the lighting in my house screws with my phones focus.

Teacher Notes

Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.

Step 1: Materials

  • 2mm craft foam
  • a dowel
  • Worbla
  • Leather scraps
  • Acrylic paints

Step 2: Blade Base

I started out by cutting two 1.5 inch strips out of the 2mm foam. I cut a point into one of the strips. Then I sandwiched the foam pieces in black worbla. I used black worbla so I would not have to deal with smoothing out the rough texture of normal worbla.

At one point I messed up the worbla by getting my finger stuck in it. When I moved my finger it ripped some of the worbla away, and burnt my finger. But per usual with any project I make, I weathered it later on so it didn't matter, and added to the piece rather than disrupted it.

Step 3: Corksrew

To make the curve of the sword, I heated the blade and wrapped it around my arm. The sword was not sturdy and kept wobbling so I used worbla to secure a thin dowel down the bottom of the blade (before the corkscrew). I used hot glue to add rivets to the worbla that secured the dowel. This made it look more intentional.

Step 4: Handel and Pommel

I used worbla to secure two dowels (one on either side of the blade) onto the blade.

To make the rain guard I cut a oval out of foam, cut a slit in it and slid it onto the blade. I used hot glue to glue it in.

I wrapped a strip of foam around the dowels. I added a smaller strip of foam (about an inch wide) around the end of the handle to create the pommel.

Step 5: Painting

To begin with I painted a base coat of grey. It was patchy because I was painting over black, but that didn't matter because I painted a layer of silver over it.

To weather I lathered the sword in a wash of black, and wiped as much excess off as I could with a paper towel. Remember that worbla mistake from earlier? I used a mixed of orange paint and salt to create a rust spot there there.

I painted the rain guard and pommel a sheer gold.

Step 6: Leather That Handle!

I cut strips of 1 inch leather and wrapped it around the handle (I used hot glue to secure it).

Step 7: All Done

And we're all done! A truly useless sword for any knight.

If you have any questions feel free to message me or comment below :)

Halloween Contest 2017

Participated in the
Halloween Contest 2017

Makerspace Contest 2017

Participated in the
Makerspace Contest 2017

Share

    Recommendations

    • Make It Fly Challenge

      Make It Fly Challenge
    • Stone Concrete and Cement Contest

      Stone Concrete and Cement Contest
    • Growing Beyond Earth Maker Contest

      Growing Beyond Earth Maker Contest

    4 Discussions

    0
    None
    CalebGreer

    1 year ago

    Wow, once again, something really cool out of mundane stuff. Nice work!

    1 reply