Have you ever been sitting at your desk, and suddenly wanted to spruce it up a little? Make it more interesting?
Well I did and here is my spruce-er..
The Mario Pipe Pen Holder!!!!!??!!?!
Stuff you will need:
Pen, pencil or texta.
Photo editing program such as Gimp or Photoshop.
Two different thickness cardboard tubes.
Step 1: Cutting, Hacking and Measuring
In this step I will show you the dodgy tactics I used to measure and cut my 'pipe' lengths.
I used some bits of tape and wrapped them around the tubes where I wanted a line to cut.
I should have measured the lengths properly but I lack hindsight...
After the tape was straight(ish), I cut around the edge with a cutting knife, it turned out ok I suppose.
You might want to tidy up the edges if they are a little rough.
Step 2: Test Fitting!!!
After cutting I used some rolled up offcuts to hold the top lip of the pipe in place so I could get an idea of how it would look.
It looks good.. But it could use some colour...
So I measured up the pieces, and they worked out to be about 20 x 145mm for the lip, 130 x 125mm for the main pipe and 50 x 50mm for the top of the lip.
To measure I just cut the tape I used earlier around the tubes and then stuck it too a ruler to measure.
Time for the colour!!
(Sorry about the blurry pictures, I couldn't get the camera to focus clearly.)
Step 3: The SKIN!
I used a picture I found on the internet as a template and edited it in Photoshop so it would fit around my tubes.
I had trouble printing it to the right size but it ended up close enough that it didn't matter.
Step 4: Cutting and Sticking...
I have printed and cut out my 'skins' for the pipe, now I have to measure and attach them.
I used a pencil and traced around the top of the lip for the top skin and then cut and taped the edged around the outside.
Once again in hindsight I should have traced the circumference of the inner tube before I stuck it together...
After that I put the lip onto the pipe and cut the inside ready to be taped.
I than proceeded to cover the pipe with its skin. It was a little difficult to attach it due to the spacers being there for the lip, but it turned out alright.
Step 5: Finishing Up
Attaching the lip and taping down the pre-cut tabs was simple enough , but a little awkward if you have large hands...
I used some leftover skin from the pipe to cover the inside of the pipe and taped it up.
I used glue for the long edge of the pipe and taped some paper into the bottom to stop pens falling out if its lifted.
My one isn't the greatest quality, but it looks good all up.
Now you can show off your desk with pride, who cares about all the pieces of old food and rubbish covering it, it has a MARIO PIPE!
I might read your comments and vote for me if you liked this in the game.life challenge :D