A very common problem with many (and some time not so) cheap USB to micro-USB cables is that due to the continues bending of the micro-USB plug the internal cables cut themselves and the cable stops to work.
For a medium skilled soldering iron user is easy to fix the cables using some very cheap material.
Step 1: Shop
You can find very cheap micro-USB plugs in ebay. I have bought 20 pieces including covers for 1.24€ ($1.44 at the time) from here :
or you can search using the keywords :
Micro USB 5 Pin T Port Male Plug Socket Connector&Plastic Cover
if you want less quantity or different kind of what i bought.
Step 2: Read the Manual
The plug has 5pins. As you can see in the picture, only four of them are used and the pin diagram is :
1. RED - VCC (5 volts)
2. WHITE - DATA -
3. GREEN - DATA +
4. BLACK - GND (ground)
Step 3: Tools
- Soldering iron with fine tip
- Soldering paste
- Wire cutter
- Wire stripper
I prefer to use a soldering iron with a very small needle tip. I also use good quality soldering paste and a very good quality solder.
Step 4: Procedure
- Cut the broken end of the cable and remove the wiring insulation leaving 4mm or so wire at the end of the cable.
- Dip the wire end of the cables inside the soldering paste. Apply solder to the tip of the soldering iron and solder the four wires.
- Cut the soldered wires so they are 2mm or so.
- Using a screwdriver or a toothpick or whatever suits you, apply a coat of soldering paste on the plugs connections.
- Carefully using the tweezers solder every of the four cables to the correct position.
Step 5: Testing and Finish
After soldering all four cables use a multimeter to test the contact of the four cables. You should not have any connection between them. If by mistake you have connection do not use this cable. Just cut it again and resolder.
Apply a small amount of glue (i have used a silicon gun) to the one side of the cover and press the plug firmly. Apply a larger amount of glue to the other side of the cover and press the two sides together.
For this kind of fixes i am using an old phone charger and an old phone to test the cables. This precaution step is essential for me. With this precaution step, until so far, i haven't made any mistake and i haven't damaged any device using the cables that i have fixed.
That's it. Finished