Mikuni Mouse- Computer Mouse / Carburetor Hack




I had an old carburetor I was cutting up to make a cutaway out of, and this project just kind of fell out of my brain and splattered on the table...  Why not take the other scrap part of the carb, and turn it into a MOUSE for my computer!?

That was literally the extent of my planning.  Next step: have at it with various sharp instruments!

Supplies Needed:

1 carburetor
1 working mouse
2 rivets or bolts to use as buttons
Misc. nuts and bolts
Sheet metal for base
Scab bicycle tire tube patches or other thin soft anti scratch material

Tools Needed:

Milling Machine
Drill or Drill Press
Marking tools- awl, marker, ruler, etc
Additional metal cutting tools- aviation snips, notcher, punches, etc.

Teacher Notes

Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.

Step 1: Cleaning Parts

When cleaning carbs, I have settled on a process I thought I would share here.  Turns out Pine Sol makes an EXCELLENT aluminum cleaner and degreaser- so I soak the entire carb, disassembled, in a vat of it for about 24 hours.

Once the carb has soaked, rinse with warm water.

Next, using compressed air and carb cleaner, clean it all again.

Finally, spray all the parts with WD40 or another light oil, and reassemble (except... we are going to cut it up some more!)

Step 2: Cutting Down to Size

For the main body of the carb, I simply used a hacksaw to cut it down the middle.  If I were to do this again, I would have used the larger half of the carb to make the mouse of, but since I am planning on making a cutaway of that part of the carb, I used the thinner half.

I had to do a LOT of trial-and-error machining... Like I said- there was no plan, just start cutting. I ended up machining the entire underside of the carb at an angle so that the mouse inards would fit and still have enough room for the scroll wheel to stick out the top.

The mouse itself was fairly simple.  I had to cut all of the extra stuff off and make it as small as possible.  I started by shaving a few pieces off using the band saw, and as I got closer I made "fine" cuts using the belt sander...

Step 3: Testing and Fitting

Figured I would throw this in just for fun-  It didn't work.  My first idea for the buttons was to use some bolts and some springs, but they kept getting stuck.  Also notice how much more cut down the mouse innards are.

The final solution was to use some zinc coated soft iron rivets- they will fall out if you flip the mouse over but they work great!  I even managed to get the wire for the mouse to go through the carb's fuel line.  Means it sticks out back and to the side, but so far it's not really in the way.

Step 4: Final Assembly!

Slap it together and try it out!  Works pretty good, but not perfect.  Sometimes the mouse will slip inside and not read movement well, and the right button sometimes has to be pushed a little harder to get it to click.  Also- the scroll wheel quit scrolling after about 2 days of using it...  I do still need to attach something to the skid underneath to keep it from scratching, although it hasn't scratched anything yet.  I plan on just sticking a few Scab brand bicycle tire tube patches on it.

Not to bad for not having a plan.  Been using it for about 2 weeks now and I love it!

Reuse Contest

Participated in the
Reuse Contest

Be the First to Share


    • Furniture Contest

      Furniture Contest
    • Reuse Contest

      Reuse Contest
    • Hot Glue Speed Challenge

      Hot Glue Speed Challenge

    15 Discussions


    4 years ago

    well then... just found a use for the pile of unloved square Bing carbs from all my Sachs mopeds!!! haha. ... I have a few ideas to build on your design. Ill post up (and credit you) when i get around to it.


    5 years ago on Step 4

    I really enjoy seeing good uses of old gear. Steamy!

    Well done, very sideways thought out!


    5 years ago

    epic I have spare mikuni carbs from my hoarding of bike parts.


    5 years ago


    Tex Arcana

    5 years ago

    Beautiful job, VERY steampunk, even with the grey colors (easily remedied). now fix that scroll wheel and make the whole thing more secure.


    So far it hasn't scratched anything. The metal of the carburetor doesnt actually touch the desk, and when I made the sheet metal skid underneath I bent all of the outside edges up just a bit so no sharp edges contact the desk. I do plan on putting some contact pads underneath it though just to be safe...

    Tex Arcanadorkpunch

    Reply 5 years ago

    forget the tube patches: they'll drag HARD. Get some Teflon tape, won't be cheap but it'll glide like butter in a hot skillet.


    5 years ago on Introduction

    This is AWESOME. As a motorcyclist AND a computer user, I commend you, sir.


    6 years ago on Introduction

    Very awesome. This would kill my hand ergonomically but I love the design and creativity way too much. Nice job.