Mini pies are easy to make and are sure to impress. This recipe yields at least 16 pies. Making it great for a small party or maybe even a work potluck.
Step 1: Ingredients and Tools
- 1.5lb Can of Cherry Pie Filling
- 3 Boxes of Jiffy Pie crust mix (or enough crust mix to make '6' pies)
- 1 egg white
- Red Food Coloring
- Pink Crystal Sprinkles
- Larger heart shaped cookie cutter
- Smaller heart shaped cookie cutter
- Mixing bowl
- Can opener
- Small bowl (for egg white)
- Pastry brush
- Rolling pin
- Flour (for rolling dough)
- Spatula (for picking up heart cutouts)
- Cookie sheet(s)
Step 2: Play Dough
- Follow the box instructions on how to make the dough. You can make all the boxes at once or one box at a time.
- Powder your clean work surface with flour and rub flour onto your rolling pin. Add more flower to surfaces if dough sticks to them.
- Make a ball with some dough and then roll it out with the rolling pin. Don't roll out too thick or your crust will over-power the flavor of the filling.
- Cut out hearts with cookie cutter and place onto cookie sheet. Repeat until cookie sheet is full. You may be able to make more than 1 cookie sheet worth. Wait until First sheet is complete before starting a second one.
Step 3: Fill 'er Up
- Open can of cherry pie filling. Spoon out 3 cherries onto the center of each heart.
- Make more cut outs of hearts with the remaining dough. You can make them as you go.
- Wet your finger with some water and run it along the inside edge of a heart. Place on top of a heart with filling on it. Gently push down on edges to seal together. Filling will seep out as you do this. Just wipe it up as you go.
Step 4: Decorate
- Turn your egg white pink. You can achieve this by adding a little food coloring or a tablespoon or two of the sprinkles.
- Apply egg white to tops of pies with your pastry brush.
- Cover pies with sprinkles.
- Add some red food coloring to remaining dough and mix in. It will not mix completely in dyeing the dough pink but rather give it a cool marbled effect.
- Roll out dough and cut out hearts with your mini heart cookie cutter
- Affix mini hearts to top of pies by very gently pushing them onto tops of pies. Trust me, the egg whites will hold them on.
Step 5: Bake
- Poke 3 holes into pie tops with a tooth pick.
- Bake pies in an oven at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
Once cooled, share with someone you love ♥