Introduction: Mini Mile High Owl Apple Pies
It's no tall order to make and bake these mile high mini apple pies. You can have these edible creatures with 6 ingredients in 5 easy steps.
Each pie requires:
4 mini frozen tart shells
1 small apple
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg yolk for wash
Step 1: Cut
1. Cut apples into thin slices and core. It is good to maintain the sequence of the apple slices, so that when placed in the tart shell, the widest point is at the vertical center of the pie.
2. Cut butter into thin slices.
Step 2: Dredge & Stack
1. Mix sugar and cinnamon on a small plate.
2. Starting from the bottom slice of the apple, dredge slice in cinnamon sugar.
3. Place apple slice in the tart shell. Add a slice of butter.
4. Repeat dredging and stacking the apple slices from bottom to top.
To save time on a number of pies, do each step on all the pies before proceeding to the next, instead of making one owl pie at a time.
Step 3: Crust
1. Remove two tart shells from the foil pan and combine into a ball. On floured surface, roll dough flat to 1/8" thickness.
2. Cover the apples, making sure dough is pinched at the edge of the foil pan. Trim off remaining dough.
Step 4: Owl Details
1. Combine the fourth tart shell and the remaining dough from the previous step into a ball. On a floured surface, roll dough flat to 1/8" thickness. Using a small circle cookie cutter, cut several circles for eye pupils and feathers. Using a medium circle cookie cutter, cut two circles for eyes. Using large circle cookie cutter, cut two circles for wings.
2. Place medium circles for eyes. Add small circles for pupils.
3. Starting from the bottom and working your way to the eyes, place small circle for feathers. When making the last row (closest to the eyes), use circles that are cut in half.
4. Take scraps of dough and pinch into three triangles. Place on top for ears and below the eyes for a beak.
5. Place one large circle on each side for wings.
Step 5: Egg Wash, Refrigerate & Bake
1. Brush on egg yolk wash.
2. Refrigerate for at least one hour to ensure the crust does not weep or lose too muh shape in the details.
3. Bake at 375F for 25 minutes, rotating the pan after 15 minutes.
First Prize in the
Halloween Food Contest
yoohsiu made it!