Introduction: Mini Wooden Bat
1. (2) 10'' 2x4 Pine Wood
2. Delta 46-460 12 1/2'' Wood Lathe (http://www.deltamachinery.com/products/lathes)
3. Nova G3 Chuck - https://www.amazon.com/Nova-48202-Turning-Chuck-In...
4. Carbide Woodturning Tools - https://www.amazon.com/Savannah-Piece-Large-Carbid...
5. Sand Paper Assortment - https://www.amazon.com/GlowGeek-Sandpaper-Assortme...
6. Finishing Wood Wax - https://www.amazon.com/SC-Johnson-Fine-Wood-Paste/...
7. Face Mask or Safety Goggles
8. Table saw - https://www.amazon.com/SawStop-PCS175-TGP236-Profe...
9. Wood Glue - https://www.amazon.com/Titebond-Ultimate-Wood-16-O...
Step 1: Gluing
Take the 2 2x4's and glue them together using a generous amount of wood glue
Then use the clamps to clamp the wood together until the glue is dry
Step 2: Cut the 2x4 for Turning
This step allows you to make it easier on yourself to turn the wood so it won't get caught and seize up on the machine.
1. Put the glued 2x4's on the bandsaw or table saw,
2. Cut the corners at a 25 to 45 degree angle to make it as circular as possible without losing too much wood.
Step 3: Setting Up the Machine
To begin turning the blank you must first set the machine up.
1- Screw in the grub screws on the Nova G3 Chuck with tool provided.
2- Screw Chuck into mount on the wood lathe.
3- Clamp the end of the wood down into the chuck.
4- Compress the right end of the lathe to make sure the blank doesn't move.
5- Adjust tool rest just below the halfway point of the blank.
6- Adjust speed controls to preference.
7- Begin turning blank on wood lathe.
Step 4: Making Sure Your Wood Is Round
This video shows the process of making sure you get the wood rounded out and some of the adjustments during the process
Step 5: Shaping the Bat
This video shows the shaping and sanding of the bat to get it to its primary form
Step 6: Waxing
Leave the bat on the lathe and take any paper towel or shop towel and put some wax on it
Turn up the speed to the max and rub the wax on the bat till smooth
Then wipe off the excess with a clean paper towel
Step 7: Cut the Ends
Cut the ends off with table saw then sand down top and bottom and wax them as in the previous step
Step 8: Final Product
Your mini bat is now complete - (don't go around hitting people with it)