Intro: Mirror Cake
Hi! This is my first instructables and I am very excited! For this contest I will be teaching you guys how to make a mirror cake. I am only 13 and I have found this very easy to make as well as delicious. It is also a good pastime. Share it with your family and friends when you've made it!!
Let's get started:
Step 1: Gather Your Ingredients
For this type of cake there are 3 separate parts. Firstly we will make a sponge cake. We will spilt the cake in half at the end.
- 6 eggs (not small)
- 1 & 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 & 1/3 cup of flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
Step 2: Directions
Ok for this part the jam is an extra if you want to do so.
- Combine the eggs with the sugar in large a bowl.
- Mix on high until the mixture is glossy, almost white and increased in volume.
- Oil your container for the cake lightly. (I used cooking oil)
- Mix on lowest available and gradually add the flour, baking powder and vanilla into the mixture.
- Very important to not over beat or else the mixture will lose its lightness.
- Preheat the oven to 365 F degrees (185 C degrees)
- Bake for about 45 minutes before putting a toothpick in the cake and it comes out not liquidy.
- Using a sharp knife cut the cake in half slowly horizontally.
- Pick one piece of the cake and spread a lot of jam on it.
- Put in fridge until frozen, usually about 30 minutes or so.
Step 3: Gather Your Ingredients Pt 2
After making the sponge cake, we will make mousse. This is the second part. You can do any flavor but personally I will make a dark chocolate mousse. These ingredients are easy to find anywhere.
- 1/2 cup of whipped cream
- 1/2 cup of chopped dark chocolate
- 4 ounces of cream cheese (half a cup)
- 1-3 tablespoons of powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
If you want to color you're cake with food coloring, use white chocolate!
Step 4: Directions Pt 2
I advise you to take your time during this step, because if you mess this up then this will affect the cake badly. No pressure! Also you can alternate the chocolate with your choice.
- In a medium bowl, beat the whipping cream at high speed.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a small pot over low heat or in the microwave at half-power.
- Using the same beaters you used to beat the whipping cream to beat the cream cheese.
- Get a sieve and pour through it to reduce the bubbles.
- Add 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the dark chocolate, vanilla extract and salt on medium speed until well combined.
- Fold in the whipped cream.
- You can use the mixer to beat it in on the very lowest setting if said above does not work.
- Taste the mousse and if it’s not sweet enough, add a tablespoon of powdered sugar until the mousse is sweet enough for your liking.
- You can serve it right away or refrigerate for 1-2 hours for better result.
Refrigerate any leftovers for up to 2 days.
Step 5: Adding the Sponge Cake to the Mousse.
Okay now that you've done the previous steps, its now time to add them together.
- Get a big circler cake pan.
- Pour 2/3 of the mousse into the pan.
- Spread out evenly.
- Then add one of the half cake on the mousse. (The one with the jam)
- Pour the rest of the mousse on top the cake and spread evenly.
- Add the other piece of cake.
- Then freeze the bowl overnight.
(However I only did a few hours due to time concern)
Step 6: Gather Your Ingredients Pt 3
So this is the 3rd part before we will assemble everything together. We will be making the mirror glaze itself. I'm not going to use any food coloring because I am using dark chocolate.
- 2 tbsp of unflavored gelatin
- 1 & 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2/3 cup of sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups of chopped up chocolate of your choice
- Food coloring
For the food coloring you can choose any color. I recommend dark color such as red and blue so it'll look better but if you wish to do light colors then that's your choice. :))
Step 7: Directions Pt 3
As I've said before I chose to not do any food coloring because I used dark chocolate instead of white.
- Mix the gelatin in a bowl of 1/4 cup of water.
- Set that aside.
- Stir the sugar, 1 cup of water and sweetened condensed milk over medium heat.
- Stir frequently, until mixture begins to bubble.
- Turn off heat and add the chocolate.
- Stir slowly, until fully dissolved.
- Add the food coloring. (If you want more than 1 color than separate them into bowls. After that add them together.)
Now it's time to move onto the other step.
Step 8: Final Step!!!
We are almost done so keep on trying! All you need to do is assemble the parts together:
- Take out the cake that was in the fridge.
- Get out a rack and cake holder. ( You can just use a can)
- Place the cake on top of the holder.
- Pour the glaze on top of the cake and let the access fall.
- Put the access in a bowl and put in fridge if you wish to keep it.
And you're done! I hope you had a pleasant time making this as I did. Enjoy!
Step 9: My Cites
So this isn't a step but if you would like to see the cites that i used to make this recipe then here they are. I combined recipes to make one.
For the sponge cake and mousse recipe I used my own knowledge so there isn't really a website I used. If you still want them then search up online.
I hope you enjoy this instructable. Thank you and byeee.