In this instructable I will show you how to cut straight without a miter box. This is useful when cutting a wide piece of wood, especially without access to a table saw.
Step 1: Cut Blocks
In this step make "rough" version of the blocks:
- Take two square cubes.
- Saw them in half.
Step 2: Prepare Blocks (Optional)
Although you can use the blocks as-is from the previous step, you may want to prepare them for further re-use. It's easy to mistake them for one-time-use wood scraps otherwise.
- Label the top of the blocks to identify where they will go when cutting.
- Put tape around the blocks.
- Put rubber cement on the bottom of the blocks to create more grip.
- Finish the blocks. I used a mixture of bees wax, mineral oil, and walnut oil in equal parts.
Step 3: Position and Cut
In this step, position the blocks and cut. They act as guides for the saw.
- Draw a straight line.
- Clamp down left-side blocks.
- Position saw.
- Clamp down right-side blocks.
Participated in the