Intro: Mobile Phone Stand Using Sticks
I have always wondered how cool it would be to have a docking station on my table so that I will have a permanent comfortable place to keep my phone,. It would be great also to keep the phone docked while charging, or while watching movies or during a conference call as you will have a support to place the phone and free hands to do your chores, keeping an eye on the phone. This is when I thought about making a stand for my purpose, but i needed to keep that simple and easy to make, so i thought about making it with the basic material available around me, Twigs and threads.
I will be explaining about making a mobile stand using easily available straight twigs and rubber bands (or thread, whichever is available). This design is based on regularly available stands, I have kept the design naked so that you can make it a charging dock or sound dock easily. Happy making
The design is simple, we have four thick long pieces as the pillars – weight-bearing structure if speaking as an engineer :P – and a few thin pieces to keep the four in place and ensure it doesn't fall off.
Step 1: Items Required
What we need exactly for this project is just a few straight twigs or sticks from any tree that you can find in your backyard and any piece of thread that can stick the two pieces of stick together. I have used small rubber bands that comes at the size of my little finger as I could find that in plenty around my house -thanks to moms purchases-. You can use any thread or even small nails, the objective is simple you have to keep two pieces of stick together, and they should move around.
We will need sticks of two size,
- thick ones, strong enough to hold the weight of the mobile, preferably 1 cm thick
- thin one to link them, preferably around 5 mm
We will need a few more tools to cut and shape the sticks and and tie them together.
- wood file
- nose player
And obviously we will need a mobile
Step 2: Measurements and Getting the Sticks Ready
Here we have to decide three things lengths,
- Height of your mobile (a cm),
- Height of the stand (b cm)
- Width your phone ( c cm).
four pieces is to be made from the thick stick, the four pillars meant to hold the weight of the mobile.
- two pieces of (a+b cm) long
- two pieces of (b+2 cm) long
Both end of the four pieces are filed for a smooth finish and this will help the stand to stand smoothly and easily.
To tie the thick sticks together we need to have thinner sticks as links to keep the phone is place. 4 pieces that are 1.5 time the width of the mobile is used for this purpose. This will ensure a roughly square shape for our stand and will ensure better weight distribution and keep the stand from falling
Step 3: Assembling the Stand
- two pairs of long and short pieces of thick sticks are taken and tied together using the thinner stick as shown in fig.
- One pair is put inside another, such that it forms like two rings linked together.
- The bottom cross-links are tied together to form an ´X´
- The free ends of the long thick long sticks are tied together to form like the inverted English alphabet ´V´
- The upper links are tied together to form another ´X´
- If you find it necessary you can also tie thinner sticks around the ´X´ to complete a box for more reinforcement and strength. But the X is strong enough to support the mboile
- Thus we have finished our Mobile Stand
Step 4: The Stand
Thus we have completed our stand, you can use this anywhere you feel like as this is luxury cosy and simple enough for a business table and your study alike.
you can connect the charger or your 3.5 mm jack to the phone while its docked, making this a multipurpose dock as well.