Introduction: Modern Take on the Festivus Pole
Happy Festivus! The Festivus for the Rest of Us.
Let's make a Festivus Pole, but with a modern take. Which Frank would find distracting, I know. Air your grievances accordingly.
Step 1: Get Materials
Let's make a distracting Festivus pole!
- An aluminium pole
- Some wood Pole holder thingy, like a clamp or this thing I found in a local hardware store
- Long USB cable you're willing to cut
- Nice big 10mm LED, the brighter the better
- Resistor, probably something like 100-200Ohm
- A latching switch (optional)
- Soldering iron
- Pliers, cutters and such
- Hot glue
- Drill with metal drill bits (you want to drill small holes, so find a small bit)
- obviously a laser engraver if you have one
Step 2: Solder Electronics, Cut Wood
I've put the 10mm led in the pole holder thingy, use shrink tube, cut the wood to size and hot and wood glued it together.
Step 3: Drill Holes in Pole and Assemble
The fun bit, drilling random holes in the aluminium pole. That was the hardest part, trying to make it look random.
Put the pole in the pole holder bit, connect the usb cable to a battery pack or mains adapter, and pronto! A modern take of the Festivus Pole. The ultimate reduction of a Christmas tree.
Now air your grievances, pin your host and get this thing over with. We got soup to buy, muffin tops to eat and coffee to drink.