Intro: Molecular Fruit Salad on Honey Sheets
I finally bought a molecular gastronomy kit and it arrived in the mail today! I was so excited that I started using the recipes right away. Because the only technique that I have ever used was gelification, I decided to stick to gelification recipes for today. One of the recipes that I noticed was honey wraps. After making them I realized I needed something to put on top of it. I figured fruit would go well with the honey so I made pearls out of a liquid that was basically a fruit smoothie. Enjoy!
Step 1: Ingredients and Materials
2 fruits and Apple Juice ( I chose bananas and strawberries but anything is ok)
1-2 packets of agar agar
Step 2: Honey Sheets
The honey sheets are made by mixing together honey and water. The amount that you use is up to you but i used a ratio of about 1:4.
Boil the honey and water and then add the agar agar and stir. Pour the Honey mixture onto a tray and place is the refrigerator for between 15 and 60 minutes. Next cut the honey into little squares and remove them from the tray. They are pretty fragile and I broke the first few that I picked up but after a while I learned how to pick them up so they didn't break.
Step 3: Fruit Pearls
Place the olive oil in the jar and place in a freezer for about 30 minutes. I made the fruit pearls by blending together 1 banana, 7 strawberries and about 1 cup of apple juice. Boil the fruit juice and add more agar agar. Remove the olive oil from the freezer and fill the syringe with the fruit juice. Hold the syringe parallel to the jar and squirt the juice into the jar so that it forms spheres. Get another jar and fill it with only water. Transfer the pearls into the jar and use a spoon to swirl the pearls so that they are all separated from each other. If the pearls are still oily put them in a colander and rinse them with water.
Step 4: Presentation
Place the fruit spheres on one of the honey sheets and serve! The amount you use is up to you! I would serve this with several sprinkled over the honey sheet. I only used six for the picture because it was what photographed the best for me.