My girlfriend compulsively buys cake vodka whenever we go shopping for alcohol so I am always trying to find ways of using it all. My liquor cabinet currently contains three bottles of cake flavored vodka from 3 different brands that were all bought in 3 different cities (including one that we smuggled onto an airplane from our flight back from Washington D.C. last spring). As a man who enjoys his scotch neat, his bacon crispy, and his coffee black, I have been presented with a great challenge: what am I supposed to do with all of this sugary cake vodka?!
Fortunately, there is nothing I relish more than a challenge. Especially if it means I can create a new (or modified) cocktail. I noticed that the Funky Monkey and the Vanilla Gorilla (in addition to being excellent names for dance moves) are becoming more popular recently and I wanted to throw my own primate themed cocktail into the barrel! (Get it? Monkeys? Barrels? Eh? Eh?!) So enjoy my own twist on the Vanilla Gorilla: the Monkey Cake!
Step 1: Tools, Ingredients, Prep, and Mixing
- Chocolate syrup / melted chocolate
- Cake Vodka (1/2 oz)
- Bailey's Irish Cream (3/4 oz)
- 99 Bananas (3/4 oz)
- Heavy Cream (1 oz)
- Toasted coconut shreds
- Cocktail glass
- Medium sized plates (x2)
- Cocktail shaker
- Place your cocktail glass into your freezer or refrigerator to chill.
- Spread your toasted coconut shreds over a medium sized plate.
- Pour your melted chocolate / chocolate syrup onto another medium sized plate.
- Once your glass is chilled, take it out of the freezer / refrigerator and dip the rim into the chocolate.
- Once the rim of your glass is evenly coated in chocolate, dip the rim into your toasted coconut shreds making sure that it gets a nice even coating of coconut.
Pour all of your liquid ingredients into a cocktail shaker full of ice, shake thoroughly until shaker is frosted over and pour into your cocktail glass.
Participated in the
Homebrew & Cocktails Contest