Hi Instructables community, I would like to share my Monster Maul project I just completed. Most splitting mauls sold have either 6 or 8 lbs heads on them. This monster maul I created has a 20.4 lbs head! Perhaps a bit of a novelty, but it is still swingable and certainly has the power to get through the toughest of logs. So here is my Instructable from concept to completion.
Step 1: Concept
I kind of always wanted to build an oversized splitting maul, but really didn't know how to do it until I saw this large 'fence post' maul at the local hardware store. Shopping around in the same store I also found these wood wedges, that when combined should create the correct angle and length needed to make a functional oversized splitting maul.
Step 2: Welding Wedge
In order to create the main wedge, the three smaller wedges needed to be welded together. I grinded and prepared the welding surfaces, then welded as deeply as my little welder could go. TIP: Preheating the metal helps a lot if your welder is under powered.
Step 3: Grinding, Cutting and Pinning
I then grinded the welds down to form a unified wedge, then cut the wedge to a length I thought was appropriate. Knowing that my welder is a little under powered and that I wanted to grind the welds down anyways, I wanted some extra reassurance that the wedge wasn't going to fall off and hurt anyone when they were swinging this behemoth. So I decided to drill pins in joining the two sections. I bashed the pins with a framing hammer to create a tight fit.
Step 4: Welding It Together
After I drilled out the pin holes in the main body and hammered the two pieces together, I needed to welded them. But before I did this, I needed to preheat the metal in order for my little welder to get enough penetration into these two large pieces of metal. So I preheated the metal using my BBQ on max (700F it said). The welding went well. Next was grinding the welds smooth using various flapper wheels.
Step 5: Painting
A couple coats of Tremclad black gloss
Step 6: Gluing
The head is normally a friction fit, but I wanted extra reassurance that it wasn't going to move, so I glued it on using construction adhesive.
Step 7: Handle Guard
Most splitting mauls are subject to handle damage or breakage, and it certainly was a big concern with the monster maul. So what I choose to do was a carbon fiber wrap and Kevlar banding for protection. It looks good and feels super solid.
Step 8: Final Product
I'm really happy with the way this project turned out. I just finished it today and haven't had a chance to test it yet, plus I don't have any wood to cut at the moment. I'm looking forward to testing it during the summer and to see what it's capable of splitting. I think the unique shape of it might have some benefits. Like having a smaller cutting blade with a considerable mass behind it. Also having a flat lip where the wedge is welded to the hammer might prevent the monster maul from passing straight through the wood block, which actually might be a good thing for such a heavy splitting maul. If it turns out to be a hindrance I can easily modify it.
Anyways it was a fun project, and am glad to share it with the Instructables community:)
Participated in the
Build a Tool Contest 2017