Introduction: Mosaic Chaise Longue (A Work in Progress!)
I was out in Orewa and saw a very interesting Mosaic chair, I thought that something similar would look nice around the pool. Who knew that mosaics were so hard and so time consuming. I was hoping to get this done over the xmas break, but life got in the way what with waterpumps breaking down and visitors etc.
Still a fair bit of progress and hopefully I will complete it over the next few weekends --- bear with me!
Timber (4x4, 6x1, decking, exterior ply)
Nails (lots of)
Ceramic and Mosaic tiles
Lots and lots of patience!!!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: The Base
My first idea was to buy a chaise and strip off the upholstery and use the frame as a basis, this unfortunately wasn't viable for a couple of reasons.
1. A shop bought chaise probably wouldn't be strong enough and the structure was unlikely to be weatherproof
2. Stripping off the upholstery takes ages (see my i'ble about la-z-boys)
3. This is probably the most important - I couldn't find one at a reasonable price
So best I build one myself! I mean how hard can it be right?
Step 2: Building the Frame
I had some timber lying around, plus I bought some more, all of the stuff I used is exterior grade stuff ( H3.1 and H4).
Most of it was pretty chunky too, 4x4s, 6x1s, 30mm decking timber and exterior ply plus lots of nails!
Step 3: Legs
The legs were made from 4x4 (basically a fence post)
The two legs at the "head end" were initially cut at 600mm (2 feet)
The foot end rear leg was 450mm (18 inches) and the foot end front leg 300mm (1 foot)
However these may be trimmed later as I want it to look right
Because they looked really chunky I tapered the bottom of them with a 10 degree taper using a chop saw (compound mitre saw)
Step 4: Frame
I joined the two front and two back legs using the 150x25 (6x1) planks which were 1.8m (6 feet) long
These were actually fence palings
I then joined the two sets of legs with a 750mm (2 foot 6) piece of the same to make a base.
Blood was drawn for the first time (but not the last by a long chalk) doing this when I "smacked myself upside the head" with a piece of wood! (I am not a clever man!!)
This bit was done in the garage as it was hot and sunny outside
Step 5: Building the Rest of the Seat
At this point I thought it wise to decamp to where it was going to end up before it became too heavy to move.
I then paneled the seat with decking timber and built up the sides to the shape I wanted with 6x1.
The back and foot end were double skinned to make an arm rest and hide the 4x4s.
Finally I infilled with strips of exterior ply and made the shaped back rest of bent ply, bent over shaped pieces
I also made a cup holder at this point as somewhere to put a drink might come in handy!!
By this time the weather had taken a turn for the worse so I finished for the day
Step 6: Prepping for Tiling
I rounded off all the corners using a grinding disc on my angle grinder, blood was once again shed, I must put the safety guard back on the grinder!!
I then stapled on chicken wire on all the wood to give the tiles a key, this used about a thousand staples!
Step 7: The Tiles
Using Facebook and TradeMe I begged and bought both ceramic and Mosaic tiles, a lady in South Auckland sold me several boxes of mosaic tiles cheaply (I think it was a hobby she lost interest in) and a lady in Parakai gave me several boxes of ceramic tiles that had been sat in her garden for a couple of years
These are just two of the seven boxes that I got
Step 8: Mosaics
I printed lots of pictures of the interwebs for mosaics and started making these up indoors by using PVA glue to stick the ceramics on, this way I can do them in relative comfort sitting down inside and then cement them into position a scrub the paper off (I hope) then grout
Step 9: Putting the Mosaics in Place
The first few mosaics I made I used PVA adhesive to stick the tiles to the paper, I found that this made it really difficult to remove the paper, so as an alternative I used a glue stick (prittstick) this was much better.
Around this point I realized that doing mosaics is really time consuming and this wasn't going to be completed in time for the closing date of the furniture competition.
However I think I have done enough to give the general idea so I'm going to put it in !
If you look closely to you can see the nautical/kiwi theme to the mosaics
On the backrest is a blue dolphin, a green turtle, a black and yellow angel fish, a multi colored gecko and an orange seahorse, on the base is a red anchor, a green gecko, a red dragonfly and a chessboard and on the site a brown kiwi and a red starfish, along the top rail are briar roses.
Obviously it will get finished and I will post as it goes along--- just don't hold your breath
Participated in the