Intro: Mosaic Planter Chair
My mother-in-law asked me to make something out of this small child chair. It had sentimental value and she didn't want to get rid of it but it had no bottom. She loves plants, so that was the natural direction for me to go in.
It is quiet old so I gave it a new coat of stain and polyurethane to give it a fresh look. Then, I took a piece of mortar board and placed it on top of the chair seat area and marked where I needed to notch out for the back. I notched this out with a Dremmel cutting disk tool.
Next I placed the mortar board back on the chair (notches in place) and traced the seat from underneath. I 'freestyle' cut the mortar board on my table saw.
To cut the center hole for the pot, I found the size pot I wanted to use and a pot one size smaller. The smaller pot is the one I used to trace my hole. By using the smaller pot, it made the hole perfect to catch the lip of the larger pot which was actually used. Once the circle was traced I drilled a hole with my drill gun and took my jig saw and cut out the center cirlce.
Next I took floral decorating marbles and glued them to the mortar board and allowed them to dry over night. You can use any glass tiles also. The next day I took pre-mixed adhesive grout and added terra cotta mortar stain for color. This is where it gets a little messy.
By hand ~ take the mortar and smeer in into and over the marbles on the mortar board, covering it completely. I allow mine to dry for about 30 minutes. Then taking a damp sponge, start wiping down the mosaic and rinsing out your sponge and repeating the process until your mosaic marbles and/or tiles begin to show more and more. You will continue this process until there is a slight 'glaze' over the marbles/tiles. Set mosaic aside and allow to completely dry (at least 24 hours).
After complete dryed wipe mosaic down with damp sponge to remove haze from marbles/tiles. Since the bottom of the mortar board could be seen on this project, I took a small amout of the grout and wiped it on the underside of the mortar board so it had that "painted" look!
The fit was so perfect there was no need for me to screw or nail the mortar board into place therefore I didn't need to alter the original piece of furniture.