Here is a carved version of a mouse. This is a garnish that will definitely wow your dinner guest. It is quick and easy to make and the bright yellow adds a splash of color to any dish. If I can make this anyone can! So go ahead and show off your amazing carving techniques and make a mouse garnish!
Step 1: Supplies
- 2 To 3 mouse shaped lemons. You might need the extra lemons because of bloopers.
- 1- 2 Nicely shaped cabbage leafs
- 1 Small cheese wedge (Swiss would make a splash.)
- 1 Cucumber
- Several springs of parsley
- 1 lemon wedge
- 1 Carrot
- Pepper corns
Step 2: Tools
- Paring knife
- Potato peeler
- Cutting board or plate
Step 3: Cut the Bottom of the Mouse
- Follow the picture and cut the bottom of the lemon to form a solid place to set the body of the mouse.
- Reserve the cut off piece for the ears.
- Place the lemon cut side down.
Step 4: Carving the Ears
- Eye ball where you think the ears should be.
- Carefully carve a line all the way across the head as shown in the pictures with the knife.
- Go across it again making it slightly wider so the ears will slip in the crack.
- Carefully carve the ears into an ear shape.
- Place the ears in the crack as shown in the picture in the next step.
Step 5: Carving the Eye Sections
- Using the skewer carefully mark where the eyes will be.
- Carve a small hole large enough to stick a pepper corn in so they will stay in place.
- Place a pepper corn in each eye.
- The ears should look like the picture here.
- Carve the tail as shown in the picture.
- Poke a hole in the back of the mouse with a skewer.
- Place the carved tail into the back end of the mouse so the tail is straight up and slightly curled.
Step 6: Carving the Vegetable Garnish
- With the skin on the cucumber take the potato peeler and make a few swipes lengthwise.
- You will need several thin slices to make the garnish for the mouse.
- Carefully roll the cucumber into a roll and fan it out slightly to form a pretty shape.
- Make a few carrot slices as well.
- Roll the carrot slices loosely to add to the garnish arrangement.
Step 7: Arrange the Mouse on the Plate With the Vegetables
- Place a cabbage leaf in the top left corner of the plate.
- Place the mouse in the cabbage leaf as shown.
- Arrange the carrot and cucumber slices on the plate as shown.
- Cut 1 small lemon wedge.
- Cut 1 small cheese wedge.
- Using the skewer make holes in the cheese.
- Place the cheese like the picture.
- Arrange the parsley on the plate as shown.
- Place the lemon wedge into the parsley.
- You can make a carrot flower to place there also.
Here is the link on how to make the flower: Step 7 https://www.instructables.com/id/Bunny-Garnish/
Step 8: Sunshiine's FinalThoughts
I am pleased with the outcome of the mouse. It will take a couple of tries to make the mouse but if I can make this anyone can make it. It was quick, easy, and a lot of fun. It made the plate look very pretty. I will be making these for my guest in the future.
Thank you for visiting and please do stop in again and have . . . . .
Participated in the
Play With Your Food Challenge