I will show you how to configure your mouse buttons to make tabbed browsing more efficient. With these settings you will be able to quickly move between tabs, create new tabs, close current tabs, and close the webrowser or any other program with a single mouse click. This can works with any mouse that has left and right clicking of the scroll wheel. I will be using Logitech's MX Revolution in this instructable, but this would work with many other mice.
Step 1: Requirements
Step 2: Configuring the Button Settings
(Using SetPoint in this example.)
1. Locate the SetPoint icon in taskbar
2. Double click the icon to bring up the settings application.
Step 3: The Setting for Tabbed Browsing
The various setting are shown in the attached picture.
1. I have changed the default One-Touch Search button (#4) to the Keystroke Assignment Ctrl+T. This creates a new tab.
2. I changed the default Left Scroll (#7) to the Keystroke Assignment Shift+Ctrl+Tab. This causes the browser to navigate to the tab that is to the immediate left of the current tab.
3. I changed the default Right Scroll (#8) to the Keystroke Assignment Ctrl+Tab. This causes the browser to navigate to the tab that is to the immediate right of the current tab.
4. I changed the default Document Flip (#9) to the Multiple Keystrokes. I then set Keystroke 2 to Ctrl+W. This closes the current tab.
Step 4: Setting to Close Any Application
I have also changed the forward button to Other and selected Close. Now any active window will be closed with the push of a button.