Introduction: Mr. and Mrs. Cloud Pillows
I saw these pillows at the Renegade Craft Fair and thought they were so cute! They are made by Good Bye Blue Monday. I actually only saw the girl pillows and decided to make a boy version of the pillows as well. Then I check the site yesterday and saw they had made a boy version with a mustache as well!! Thought that was pretty funny.
I hope you enjoy these adorable pillows. I think they would make cute gifts and/or decorations for a bridal shower.
Step 1: Materials and Tools
- 1 yard of white felt
- 2 types of Patterned Fabric - for legs, one for girl one for guy
- Black Felt - boy pillow mustache
- Navy blue felt - girls shoes
- Pink felt - girls cheeks
- 2 Buttons - girls shoes
- Embroidery Thread: black and pink
- White Thread
- Fiber Fill - pillow stuffing
- Sewing Machine
- Wide eyed needle
- Regular needle
Step 2: Make and Cut Patterns
Legs - about 8.5" long and curve at the bottom. You will need to cut out 4 pieces for each pillow.
Cloud - my cloud pattern is just 1/2 of the cloud.
- Layer two pieces of fabric each a about 18"x18".
- Folded the fabric diagonally in half (looks like a triangle)
- Place the pattern on the fold of the fabric.
- Instead of pinning the pattern to the fabric, I just pinned the fabric down at the edges and traced the pattern with a marker.
- Leaving the pins in the fabric, remove the pattern and cut just inside of the marker line. Now you have your two pattern pieces
Step 3: Adding the Face
- Cut out two small pink ovals for the cheeks. You want the centers of each about 3.5" apart. Sew them on with pink embroidery thread.
- Using black embroidery thread, sew the eyes on. I liked the stitched looks so I left a little space between each stitch. The main detail that separates the girl from the guy (besides mustache) is the added eye lash. So go back and add a small eyelash above the eye.
- To finish create the puckered lips for the mouth.
- Just as you did for the girl, use black embroidery thread to sew the eyes on. I liked the stitched looks so I left a little space between each stitch. Do not add the eyelash
- Cut out mustache and sew it on like you did the cheeks with black thread.
Step 4: Make Legs
- Once legs are cut out pin them back to back (patterned sides touching). Sew along the edges leaving the top sides open.
- Turn the legs inside out and stuff them with the fiber fill. Leave about 3/4" of the leg unfilled.
Step 5: Sew It All Together
- Place the embroidered face on the table facing you.
- Place the legs on top of the face. You want the legs to be facing each other and right at the edge of the eyes. Make sure 1/2" of the unfilled leg is sticking over the edge of the cloud and 1/4" of the unfilled legs are on the inside.
- Place the plain cloud layer over the legs and face so it matches up exactly with the bottom layer.
- Pin the two layers together.
- Sew about 1/4" from edge all the way around. Start sewing a 1/2" to the right of the left leg, and end 1/2" after the left of the right leg (see image notes). You want to make sure to leave a 2" gap so you can turn the pillow inside out and stuff.
- Once the edge is sewn, turn turn the pillow inside out and stuff. Make sure you get stuffing in all the corners.
- Hand sew the gap using a slip stitch.
Step 6: Shoe Detail
My camera deleted my images for the pattern and cutting of the shoes, but its really simple. Use the end of your leg pattern piece to cut out 2 pieces of felt for each food. Cut in the details to distinguish the types of shoes. For the girl I made mary janes and the boy I made flip flops. Sew them together and put them on the feet and sew 2-3 contact points to the legs so the shoes don't fall off. For the girls shoes I glued on some cute elephant buttons for detail.
Finalist in the
Judges Test Howto