Intro: Multi-purpose Attachable Bench , Especially for Engineers
"Need is the Mother Of all Invention " ... and such was the realization when i was in need of extra-bench to keep items such as printer ,papers, books etc And even do engineering drawing on it
However, the hostel rules restricted me to drill holes in the wall which would support the bench, which was ought to be made.Time and availability of resources were also constrained.
For all of you who are facing similar issues, here is the illustration on how to make a simple Attachable-Detachable bench which can be hooked on any rim, mesh like outer support on a typical window system or Any other similar systems.Plus ,this can be made with minimum time and amount of resources.
I hope to create a dominoes effect of ideas on how new bench system can be custom made and used for multipurpose , even with limited availability of resources.
Step 1: Getting Started -Materials Needed
A Rectangular Engineering Drawing Board / Plywood of 3-5 cm thickness
- Dimension i.e length , breadth and depth can be chosen as per requirement or window's rim size.
Drilling Machine and Drill tools
M3 Nuts and bolts(Of diameter 3 mm)And Washers
M4-M5 , 1.5-2 Inches Nuts and bolts(Of Diameter 4-5 mm) And Washers
Two Equal Length Chains around 1 m - 2m
Step 2: Making the Coupler- Wood Block
1.In the 1st figure , the blue colored plywood is cut approx the length of the Engineering Drawing Board (E.G board)/(user req.) and breadth is 2-3 cm more than the length of one side of L - clamp.
2.Mark Two Hole on the L-clamp , and drill it with m3 drill tool. Mark corresponding holes on the wood and attach the L-clamps by m3 bolt. Similarly , attach two more L-clamps at equal distance .Lets call this wood as the coupler block as this will couple the Drawing board to the window, figure 2.
3.Now , one the other face of the plywood attach the Door-hinge by marking the respective hinge holes and drill it by m3 drill tool. Firmly attach it with m3 nut and bolts/ screws.
4.Next, Attach this to the E.G board, again by screws/nuts.Figure 3 , 4,5 and 6.
Step 3: Making the Attachable-Detachable Support
Here , The support for the E.G board will be made.
1. The Two Chains should be attached to the underneath of the bench, lower-side, by drilling holes on the board .and then using nuts / screws
Note : make sure that the alignment of the drilled holes must be same and chain length must be equal for proper leveling of the bench.
Also , use washer as shown in figure 1 for proper attachment of chains .
2. The other end of the chains is attached to the L-clamps with the help of the 2 inches nuts and bolts as shown in figure 2.
3. Now move the entire system and attach it to the available rim/ support via the coupler wood block . The hinges will make sure that the EG board rotates about the hinge.
4. The other end of the chain can be attached to the higher level rim ,chains support board because of tension force.
5. The board rotation can be adjusted by adjusting the attaching hooks up or down the rim level as shown in the figures.
Step 4: Now Lets Brainstorm
The above arrangement is not only limited to engineering requirements.
It can also be used by designers , Architecture , Artists etc. Accordingly slight modification in the system can also be done .
I hope i have made the idea clear and hoping for more new ways of thinking.