Musical Light is a lamp made of CDs and other materials that you can use to light up your life! Here is one of many ways to make a CD lamp.
- A variety of CDs/DVDs
- Wood boards(optional)
- Clip On Socket and Switch Set
- Clear T6 bulbs with Candelabra Base
- Double Sided Tape
- Wood Glue
- Contact Cement
- Hot Glue Gun
- 1/2 inch Flush Shank Router Bit
- Table Router
- Table Saw
- 1/8 inch Drill Bit
- 1 inch Speedbor
- 1/4 inch Shank Roundover Router Bit
- 1/4 inch Straight Router Bit
- 1 inch Hole Saw
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Step 1. Make the Base
- Get 4 each 1 inch by 8 inch by 6 inch (however many you want would work)
- Create a template out of a quarter inch thick plywood(5 1/2 inches in diameter) (you can use one of the CDs for sizing)
- Use double sided tape to attach the template to each board
- Have a router table with the template router bit
- Use to trim the outer edge of the board into disk shape
- Repeat that 3 more times
- Remove the template from the boards
- Change the router bit to a 1/4 inch router bit
- Use the 1/4 inch router bit to round the edges of the boards
- Glue all 4 boards on top of eachother using wood glue
- Use 1 inch speedbor and drill a hole through the center of the board pile
- Use 1/4 inch straight router bit to cut a slot on the 4th board(quarter inch deep) from the center of the bottom onto the edge
- apply a finish of your choice(optional)
Step 2: Step 2. Get CDs Ready
- Get all of the CDs/DVDs in the order you would like them to be.
- Put a rod in the middle of all the CDs/DVDs to hold them together in place.
- Use contact cement/hot glue gun between each CD/DVD to stick them together.
- Put pressure on the CDs/DVDs and let them dry
- Use a 1 inch hole saw to drill through the center of the CD stack
Step 3: Step 3. Put It All Together
- Push up the clip on socket through the base until it was flush with the wooden base
- Use hot glue gun to glue electrical cord to the bottom of the base
- Instal the bulb in the socket
- Use hot glue gun again to glue that stack of CDs/DVDs to the base