I prepare this mutton bone soup, specially for my aged Grandmother once in a while. It is very nutritious, easily digestible and tasteful.
The recipe is my Grandmother's, only difference is I have used a pressure cooker to make the soup.
Step 1: Mutton Bones
We bought 250 grams of mutton bones from our regular supplier. He is very generous and leaves some bits of meat attached to the bones.
Clean and place the bones in a pressure cooker
Step 2: Other Ingredients
- One tomato
- One medium sized onion
- Few garlic cloves
- Half an inch long piece Ginger
Clean and finely chop all above ingredients
- Handful of chopped Coriander leaves
- Bunch of Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Half a teaspoon of Turmeric powder
- Half a teaspoon of Karam masala powder
- Half a teaspoon of Cumin seed powder
- Half a teaspoon of whole Black pepper
Step 3: Mix All Ingredients
- Add all the above ingredients to the mutton bones in the pressure cooker
- Measure and add three cups of water to the pressure cooker. This will give you about three cups of soup
- Mix all ingredients together with a laddle
Step 4: Pressure Cook the Bones
Place the pressure cooker with the ingredients in the stove and cook till it is well boiled. I always put the lid on the cooker only after the liquid is well boiled. This prevents some of the liquid being ejected out when the cooker reaches full pressure.
Pressure cook for about 20 to 25 minutes.
Step 5: Strain the Soup
- After about 20 to 25 minutes, remove the cooker from stove and allow the pressure to come down
- Pour the liquid over a strainer and separate the soup.
- Do not throw away the remains in the pressure cooker. We will make a Mutton bone stew with that.
Enjoy the hot and tasty Mutton Bone soup...