Intro: My Machine _ Play New Games on the Playground
This is a project to show how our machine is going to work.
It is a part in a big process to use the idea of a 11 year old girl and make it reality.
This machine can give a 100 games to children (primary school) to play on the playground.
Like this they never get bored and learn each day a new game. And it is possible to choose the difficulty.
Check out the little movie, this shows you how it works.
Step 1: How Will We Work + What We Need
1: The body (step 2-7 )
2: The head (step 8)
3: Putting the head on the body (step 9)
4: Decorations (step 10)
We will need:
- 2 big mdf plates of 2 to 1 m (5mm)
- screws (a lot of them)
- big aluminum tube (diameter 50 cm)
- aluminum tape
- grey paint
- 6 hinges
- 2 handles
- 2 little wheels
- 4 beams of wood (4cm by 4 cm)
- small ball
Step 2: THE BODY: Intern Structure
The first picture shows you the parts you will need. The other 2 give guidens to my explenation.
- Take the 1.2 pieces and the 1.4 wooden beams
- Secure on each plate 4 wooden beams in a square. It should fit perfectly. (A)
- use screws to secure them but drill a little hole first to avoid splinters from the wood.
- Put one plate with beams to the side (we will use this again in step?)
- Use the other one to build the structure on. (this plate is the bottom one)
- Take pieces 1.5 and put them vertically on each corner of the bottom plate (beams up) (B)
This part is done
Step 3: THE BODY: Cut Out Doors and Sack
- We use the 1.1 pieces.
- On the drawings you see where to cut out the doors on 1.1.2
- And for the little sack on 1.1.1
- Drill a hole and then cut everything with the jigsaw.
- When you cut them out, sandpaper everything (to clean it up a bit)
Step 4: THE BODY: Feet
- Use an extra piece of wood to cut out the feet.
- On the picture you see a shape that we made.
- Cut it out with a jigsaw and sandpaper it.
Step 5: THE BODY: Top Plate
- Take back the plate we put aside.
- Drill a hole of +/- 51 cm. (First drill a small hole and then jigsaw the big circle)
- Take the big tube. We need to secure this on the top plate.
- Make a box like I show you in picture C.
- Now just slide the tube over the box and screw it with little screws on 2 corners. Like this the tube can’t get loose.
Slide the top plate over the tube and turn it around. The bigger part of the box stops the tube from falling out
To make sure it doesn’t fall through when we put it the right way confirm plates under the bigger part of the box. Picture D shows how it looks like.
Step 6: THE BODY: Paint and Tape
- Paint every piece of 1: The doors, plates 1.1 (one side), feet, top plate, pieces 1.3.
- Tape the sides of the doors. Do this with shiny aluminum tape.
- And the sides of the feet
Step 7: THE BODY: Put Everything Together
- Now we attach the 1.1 plates on the inside structure.
- We do that by placing a row of black screws to enhance the machine feeling
- When the 3 1.1 plates are on the body we can do the back side.
- Use the 1.3 pieces. Put one on top and one on the bottom. Like this there is a space where we can crawl into the machine.
- Use the hinges to secure the doors to the sides. (2 for big door, 1 small door)
- Screw the handles on the upper back plate and the wheels on the lower back plate (like this you can move easily around with the machine)
- Now slide the top plate on the machine it should fit perfectly.
We have our body
Step 8: THE HEAD
- Use 2.1 to make 2 squares like you did on the bottom and top plate (but without the plates)
- Secure them by using L-irons
- Now put the 2.2 beams on top of each corner of one square you made.
- And then secure the other square on top of those four beams.
- Paint this head
We have our head.
Step 9: HEAD ON BODY
- Make 4 holes in the big tube
- Put 2 long aluminium tubes through them
- Let the head rest on those 2 tubes and secure them with glue (2 components)
Step 10: DECORATIONS
- A file to laser cut the gears in the head (we did them with acrylic in all sorts of colours)
- The file to laser cut the bow
- We used 3 dog-toy’s to represent our buttons (there you choose de difficultness of the game)
- A piece of fabric for the little sack
- Lamps that show you when the playtime is over. You just tape it on the big tube.
- Hang the gears random in the head with fishing rod.
- Make some eyes, a nose and a mouth and hang them on the right places
- Cut a small ball in two and tape them on the feet.
Like this the Machine is complete