Introduction: Nautical Seersucker Sundress
The only fabric patterns I usually like are striped or dotted, so I naturally adore seersucker fabric. I wanted to make a cute and comfortable sundress for spring and summer. And seeing that the Dream It, Draw It, Wear It Contest prize was a new Wacom tablet, I knew I had to come up with something! Please vote for the design it you like it. I really need that Wacom tablet!
*Edit: My lovely friend, who is much better at making patterns and sewing, helped me make a quick prototype dress. I included it in the main picture!
Thank you for voting these into the Dream It, Draw It, Wear It Contest Finals!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
I am new to Sketchbook Pro, but it looked like a very useful program to work with, so I downloaded the free trial.
My first sketch started a little rough. I used the Pencil and Symmetry Y (Y key) to make each side even, but the lines were a little shaky, even using my old drawing tablet. I was drawing in Free mode, so I decided to turn on Steady Stroke mode instead.
I erased my first attempt with the Eraser tool. You can resize the brush size with the [ ] bracket keys.
With Steady Stroke on, my second drawing turned out a lot smoother, but it still needed a little refining.
By holding down the Shift key as I am drawing, I am able to make some of the necessary lines straight. Now that I am happy with the shape, I can start on the fabric design.
The fabric I had picked out is a blue and white seersucker. I used the Line tool to start creating blue lines to go on the dress, remembering to hold down shift to get straight lines. I selected a blue color from the color palette and opened a new Layer to put the stripes on, so I didn't accidentally erase part of the dress design if I screwed up.
With Symmetry Y still turned on, I am able to get even lines of both sides and do half the work! Once I got all the stripes on, I was pretty satisfied with the design, but I wanted to add a little detail on the bottom of the arm straps. Blue and white stripe feels very nautical to me, so I decided to add an anchor detail. I made a quick vector of an anchor and added that image to the drawing (File>Add Image). I resized them to fit on the sleeves and added a larger anchor to show the detail.
I added in a note about the dress length using the type tool. Pretty easy stuff!
Third Prize in the
Dream It, Draw It, Wear It Contest