Introduction: Naval Battle Robot for VG100 at UM-SJTUJI
We are Group 19 for the course VG100 of the UM-JI, whose project is named as Naval Battle Robot. The name of our group is Practicer. Since we are both future engineers, what we believe in common is to put ideas into practice, which can change the world. The logo of our group is five connected gears which symbolizes that we are all indispensable parts of the unity.
As a team, each of us play a specific and vital role: Lu Hengyi is responsible for programming on Arduino and assembling; Shen Shiqi is responsible for putting forward new ideas and noting down our needs; Yang Xuting takes charge of buying materials and assembling; Chang Siyao and Zhao Yijia are responsible for taking pictures and writing the manual.
Below is a photograph of our team. Starting from the left, there is Lu Hengyi, Chang Siyao, Yang Xuting , Zhao Yijia, and Shen Shiqi.
2. Rules and Requirement
A. Game rules
(1) The competition is carried out between two teams.
(2) Only the appointed motor is available while servo motors are not confined.
(3) Every ball in the opponent’s will be counted as scores, the team with higher score wins.
(4) Only remote control is acceptable.
(5) There is a limit for robots on size: 350mm*350mm*200mm.
(6) When two teams are of the same ranking, an additional 1-minute match between these two teams will be held.
(7) The small ball counts as 1 point, the big one counts as 4 points.
1. A handy design based on common PS2 controllers and Arduino.
2. The robot with a low requirement on materials is easy to assemble.
(9) A model of the site is provided as below.
(1) In Vg100, Team 19 is required to make a robot which can carry 2 types of small balls from one division of the field to the other. The two division is divided by a isolation strip and 8 small balls can go through the button of the strip (while 4 big balls can not). The time limit is 3 minutes. The examination consists of a practice without opponents and a match play.
(2) The device is limited in size: only those with an initial size in 35*35*20(cm^3) are permitted.
(3) The UM-SJTU Joint Institute is located in Ming Hang campus of Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Draft the Robot Concept Diagram and Buy the Materials Needed
Prepare the materials as the diagram shows. The source of the materials can be found in the appendixes.
Step 2: Make the Chassis of Robot
A. Design a chassis for the Naval Battle Robot on the AutoCAD.
Notice: Make sure the size meets the need of practical use and the requirements of the game. For example, the length and width shouldn’t exceed 35*35(cm), and there should be points marked to drill holes and install screws.
B. Make the chassis by laser cutter. The following CAD graph is offered as a blue print. Remember to leave some space in proper location with proper size so as to install electronic units such as driving boards and motors.
（*Accuracy first: A substitution is needed unless the accuracy is assured.）
Step 3: Code the Controlling Program
A. Downloadthe Arduino library for PS2 joypad from the Internet.
B. Write a program with Arduino IDE for controlling servo motors and the DC motor via PS2 joypad. The example programs are extremely helpful for coding.
C. After the car is fully functioned, adjust the value in the program to increase performance.
Step 4: Attach Motors to the Wheels
A. Attach the coupler to the shaft of the DC Motors.
B. Attach the wheel to the couplers.
C. Turn a screw into one of the holes on the wheel to fix the wheel.
Step 5: Fix Motor Brackets and Universal Wheels With Screws
Align the brackets and wheels with the holes on the acrylic board properly, then use screws and drivers to fix them.
Step 6: Install Servo Motor 1 With Screws
A. Attach the servo bracket to the acrylic board.
B. Attach the servo to the bracket.
C. Attach the U-shape metal sheet to the shaft of the servos, as there are two shafts, please make sure that both sides are fixed.
Step 7: Construct the Structure of Robotic Clamp and Stretches
A. Assemble the clamp.
B. Attach the servo motor to the clamp.
C. Use brackets to make a stretch
D. Connect the stretch with the clamp.
Step 8: Locate Other Components As the Diagrams Shows.
A. Put the compononts on the designated position of the robot
B. Use tape to fix them on the board
C. Note that the attachment may require further adjustment, so please do not fix them to tight.
Step 9: Connecting the Circuit
A. Install the battery and connect wires with the power off, including the PS2 interfacer and transformer board.
B. Welding is needed to disperse the power of battery to multiple components, pay attention not to burn yourself.
C. DO NOT confuse the positive pole and the negative pole.
D. DO NOT forget to attach the negative pole of 6V Ni-Cd Battery to the GND socket of Arduino.
E. The circuit diagram and the side-view of the wires and components are shown below.
Step 10: Finish the Assembly and Test the Robot
A. Test it as much as possible
B. The battery capacity is comparatively low, so don't forget to charge it before the final race
*The picture followed shows the final 3-side view of the robot.
Step 11: Lets Play!
Source and Reference
A. Reference for samples https://www.instructables.com/id/Hovercraft-for-V... B. Source for Materials 1. https://www.instructables.com/id/Hovercraft-for-V... (robotic clamp and servo motor for clamp) 2. https://www.instructables.com/id/Hovercraft-for-V... motor for arm (dual axis)) 3. https://www.instructables.com/id/Hovercraft-for-V... (arm made of brackets) 4. https://www.instructables.com/id/Hovercraft-for-V... (Arduino) 5. https://www.instructables.com/id/Hovercraft-for-V... (Li-ion Battery) 6. https://www.instructables.com/id/Hovercraft-for-V... board) 7. https://www.instructables.com/id/Hovercraft-for-V... (DC motor driving board) 8. https://www.instructables.com/id/Hovercraft-for-V... wheel) 9. https://www.instructables.com/id/Hovercraft-for-V... Line) 10. https://www.instructables.com/id/Hovercraft-for-V... (PS2 joypad)