Experience a cleaner, faster web and block annoying ads in your entire home network with Pi-hole and your Raspberry Pi.
Step 1: Equipment List
Step 2: Check for Updates
Type in this command to check for updates:
sudo apt-get update
Step 3: Installation and Configuration of the Pi-hole Software
- Execute the installer by typing this command
curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash
- The first 2-3 windows are for information. Read the information and click on
- Choose an interface: If wlan0 is available, I recommend using it. If not, use eth0, or any other interface you would like to use. Select one by pressing and click afterwards
- Select an Upstream DNS Provider. To use your own, select Custom (I recommend using Googles DNS). Hit Enter if you selected the right one.
- Choose third party lists in order to block ads. You can use the suggestions below, and/or add your own after installation.
- Select Protocols (press space to select). I recommend using all available protocols.
- Set a static IP-Address: Click on if you want to use the current IP, or if you want to change the IP.
- Install the web admin interface by selecting (*) On
- In order to use the web interface, you need a webserver. If you don't have one installed, select (*) On
- Set logging settings (I recommend to log queries)
- Select a privacy mode for FTL (I recommend to show everything)
- Note the password and the IP-Address at the end of the setup
Step 4: Change the DNS of Your PC, Smartphone and Tablet
Always use the IP-Address of your Pi. It was displayed at the end of the Pi-hole setup, where the password was.
- How to change DNS on Windows?
- How to change DNS on macOS?
- How to change DNS on Linux? (Ubuntu)
- How to change DNS on iOS?
- How to change DNS on Android?
The web interface is available at http://[IP_OF_YOUR_PI]/admin
You can log in with admin as a username and the password you noted before.
That's it! You can now say goodbye to annoying ads in your whole network!