This time I'd like to show you how I made a new blowpipe for my metal melting furnace. The reason why I’ve decided to do this is that my old ½ inches pipe didn’t allow to supply enough air to smelting furnace. I could get enough air and as a result temperature for melting aluminum but for brass it still wasn’t enough.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Using a Pipe From Replaced House Heating System
In my opinion, the solution is to increase a pipe diameter, so it will help to improve an air flow.
I took 1 ¼ pipe from replaced house heating system. I had to cut off all unneeded pieces of the tube.
Step 2: Welding Turn and a Slug
Now we should weld 90 degree angle turn from two pipes which I cut off at 45 degree angle. In fact, I didn't make exactly 45 degree :) That's why I've got additional work. Now I had to use some wire to weld gaps between pieces of pipe.
Step 3: Drilling Holes
The next thing I did is drilling holes all over the pipe. Bigger in the beginning and smaller in the end. I throw away metal melting furnace bottom because blowpipe was bigger than the furnace, so it didn’t fit more.
Step 4: Testing
I loaded charcoal, added several pieces of coal (to increase the temperature a little bit) and started testing.
In the conclusion, I should say that I’ve got an awesome result. I’ve got plus several hundred degrees to my previous results.