Make perfect hard boiled eggs everytime!
Step 1: Equipment
Pot with lid
Step 2: Add Eggs and Water
Place your eggs in your pot.
You can cook as many as will fit in a single layer in your pot.
Add cold tap water, enough to competely cover your eggs in your pot.
Step 3: Add Salt
Add about a teaspoon of salt to the water.
It is very important that you add the salt, do not skip this step.
Salt does two things:
1. The salt raises the boiling point slightly so that the eggs will reach a slightly higher temperature while cooking.
2. Most importantly the salt causes the egg to slightly contract inside the shell making the shell removal after cooking much easier.
Step 4: Add Lid and Turn on Stove
Place your pot on the stove.
Add the lid to the pot.
Turn your burner to high.
Step 5: Water Reaches a Boil
Watch until your pot reaches a boil.
Once the water is a roaring boil (see photo) below follow these steps:
1. If you removed the lid to onserve the boiling, replace the lid on the pot.
2. Set timer for 20 minutes.
3. Turn the burner under the pot off.
4. Do not move the pot or lift the lid off of the pot for 20 minutes.
Step 6: Cool the Eggs
As soon as the timer goes off you must cool the eggs immediately.
Pour out the hot water and replace with cold tap water.
Repeat until the water in the pot is cool.
You will need to pour out hot/warm water and replace with cold tap water at least twice, possibly more.
Note: It is important you cool the eggs quickly. The eggs will continue to cook until they are cooled, if they continue cooking they will become over cooked which can cause that unsightly green tinge on the surface of the yolk.
Step 7: Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs
Your eggs are perfect, you can either store in your refrigerator for later or peel to eat now!
Step 8: Remove Egg Shells
Once you are ready to eat your hard boiled egg you need to peel it. If you added the salt, this step will be easy.
Take your egg and rap it on the counter.
Roll the egg so that the entire surafce is covered in cracks.
Find an edge of the shell and start to pull, make sure you also have the membrane of the egg.
Continue pulling off the shell.
Rinse the egg in cold tap water to remove anny remaining egg shells.
Step 9: Enjoy!
Enjoy your perfect eggs!
waldhunter made it!