This recipe is for people who would like to bake home-made french bread but don't have a food processor. It's a really easy recipe you can't really fail.
For 2 baguettes you will need:
- 6g(1 tsp) of dry yeast (or 18g of fresh yeast)
- 300g(1,2 cups) of water
- 375g(3 cups) of flour
- 6g(1 tsp) of salt
Step 1: Step 1: Mixing Yeast + Water
- Warm up 100g(1/2cup) of water.
Don't overheat it or it will kill the yeast. To make sure you have the right temperature, put the water 10 seconds in the micro-wave per 100g (20s for 200g, 30s for 300g...)
- Add the water to the yeast in a large bowl.
Don't pour the water directly onto the yeast but pour it on an edge of the bowl so the yeast will stay in the bottom of the bowl.
- Wait 10 to 15 minutes till the yeast starts to make bubbles.
Step 2: Step 2: Adding the Flour + Mixing
- Add the rest of water you would have warmed up (200g = 20s in the micro-wave).
- Add the flour and on top of it the salt.
Be careful the salt doesn't touch the yeast before being mixed up with the flour or it will kill the yeast (I know again, but don't worry, everything will be fine).
- Mix the dough but don't knead it. Stop mixing as soon as the dough is uniform.
- Put the bowl in a warm environment. Near a radiator is perfect.
- Wait 1h - 1h30. The dough should double in size.
Step 3: Step 3 : Shapping + Baking
- You will notice the dough is really sticky. To be able to shape it in baguettes you will need to flour your hands and the dough on the surface. Separate the dough in two and stretch each one in a stick shape (baguette basically means stick in french). It doesn't need to be perfect. The shape will become more uniform as it will rise.
- Put the baguettes on a baking paper on a grill or a baking tray.
- Let it rise for 30 minutes.
Now this is the most important part. The baking !
It may not seem that important but it is this step who will make the difference between an okay bread and a crispy-georgous-soft-inside bread.
- Fill a large pan of water and put it in the bottom of your oven.
- Pre-heat at the maximum temperature. Usually 230°C (400°F).
From this point you will need to be careful of your oven as you are turning it into a steam-oven.
- Bake your bread for 30-45 minutes. Try not to open the oven door before 30 minutes have passed as it will allow the steam to escape. Again, be carefull with the steam, it's really hot.
- Once your baguettes are fully cooked, take them out and let them rest for a few minutes before eating.
Step 4: Step 4 : Enjoy !
You are now ready to enjoy your perfect french style baguettes!
They don't usually stay long on the table but if you have the courage, you can keep them for a few days. They will lose their crispiness but just spray a bit of water on top of the baguette and put it for a few minutes in the oven and they will be fresh like the first day.
If you have any questions or problems, don't hesitate to ask me.
Please let me know if you try the recipe and share pictures of your baguettes!
Participated in the