Turn your old wool sweater into a cozy cover for your yoga mat!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: What You Will Need!
1. An old wool sweater - any color, size and condition will do (please that the sweater sleeves must to big enough to fit over your yoga mat and allow you to fit 2 fingers between the mat and the sleeve
2. 1/2 yard of 45" wide fabric for the strap
3. 1 yard of medium weight fusible interfacing
4. Tape measure
6. Sewing machine or needle and thread
Step 2: Constructing the Cover
1. Cut the sleeves off the sweater as close to the armhole as possible.
2. The cuffed ends of the sleeve will be the ends of the cover.
1. To sew the sleeves together insert one sleeve inside the other with right sides together
2. Stitch the sleeves together
3. Turn the cover right side out
Step 4: The Strap
1. Measure the length of the covered yoga mat and add 6 inches - this is the total length you will need for the strap for the cover
2. Cut a strip of the matching fabric and interfacing the above length (length of mat plus 5 inches) and 5 inches wide
3. Iron the interface to the fabric following manufacturer' instructions
4. Fold the strip in half lengthwise with right sides together
5. Using a 1/2" seam stitch along the long edge of the strap -leaving the ends open
6. Turn the strap right-sides out and press so that the seam is in the middle of the inside of the strap
Step 5: Attaching the Strap to the Cover
1. Stitch the finished end of the strap to the outside of the cover about 3 inches down from the top of the cover
2. Turn the cover wrong side out
3. Extend the strap to the end of the cover on the inside. Be sure the strap is straight and not twisted.
4. Stitch across the end of the cover being careful to catch the end of the strap
5. Turn the cover right-side out and inset mat
Step 6: Slip in Your Mat and Downward Face Your Dog!
1. Turn the cover right-side OUT!
2. Slip in your mat
3. Woo Hoo!