Introduction: Omega From Fortnite Wall Art
Our kids love the game Fortnite, as do most kids at the moment. So, we decided to make them a couple of pieces of wall art for their bedrooms. Our first go at it is Omega, which I am told is the most popular at this moment. I have no idea though.
In this ible I will take you through the steps of how I made this small wall art using our X-Carve CNC and also provide you withthe pattern to do so yourself. If you don't have a CNC you could also turn the pattern for this into a scroll saw pattern, but you would need to leave out some of the finer details.
Here is a video overview of how I did it if you are interested.
Step 1: Path 1 - the Clearing Path
I left out the steps where I loaded the file into the Gcode sender, since everyone does it differently and uses different programs. I will say that I used UGS (Universal Gcode Sender) to deliver the code. I created the pattern in Inkscape using a screenshot from the game.
The material used was .5 inch MDF.
The first path is a clearing path and removes the bulk of the flat surface depth. I set this depth to .033 inches. In hindsight, I should have went a bit deeper, but we'll get to that.
This pocket path runs with a 1/8" spiral upcut bit. This took about 15 minutes.
Step 2: Path 2 - the Detail Path
This path was set to be carved with a 60 degree 1/8" v-bit. This helped get all of the fine details I was going for. I had a 1/16" straight bit, but the preview didn't look like what I was going for.
This path took roughly 90 minutes.
Step 3: Path 3 - the Cutout Path
This toolpath released the design from the material and gave it a nice fluid border. This path was done with the same bit from path 1, but was set to cut through at .510 inches and had 1/4" tabs in place to keep it secure.
Once the path was done I took it to the band saw and cut off the remaining tabs. I also did a very light sanding with 240-grit sandpaper to remove any burrs.
This path took roughly 2 minutes.
Step 4: Coloring
I first sprayed the entire piece with a clear coat. This makes get the top layer of paint off much easier.
Once the clear coat dried, I sprayed it with a semi-gloss black, making sure to fill in all the low spots with paint.
I let it dry overnight.
Step 5: Removing the Paint
To remove the top layer of paint on the raised surfaces, I first used 80-grit sandpaper with light passes to get the majority of the paint off. Then I came back to it with 220-grit sandpaper to remove the rest. After that I blew off the dust that was left over with a few blasts of air.
In hindsight, I should have cut the pocket paths a bit deeper. When sanding, I actually scuffed the recessed surfaces a few times. It wasn't anything major, but lesson learned.
Step 6: Finishing
The last thing to do was cover the whole thing in a clear finish. I did this using the same clear spray I used previously.
We will hang this with 3M poster tabs since it is not very heavy.
The kids love it, so I am happy.