A gluten free version of classic french cookies. These soft and fragrant orange chocolate petit beurre cookies will satisfy the most refined taste buds!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS:
- 5.6 oz (160 grams) gluten free all purpose flour
- 3.5 oz (100 grams) chilled butter, cut in small cubes
- 2.3 oz (65 grams) light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 8.8 oz (250 grams) milk or semi-sweet chocolate
Step 2: DIRECTIONS:
To make the cookie:
- In a food processor, add the flour and chilled butter. Mix until flour looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar, orange zest and egg and mix until dough looks like a little bowl, without sticking in the wall of food processor.
- Wrap dough in food membrane and chill for about 1 hour.
- To bake, preheat oven at 350 F (180 C) and line perchament paper in a cookie sheet. Roll the dough to 0.11 inches (3mm) thickness o n a lightly floured surface.
- Cut out the cookies using the cookie stamps and place them on the cookie sheet.Place on the middle shelf of the oven and bake approxiamtey 6-8 minutes, until lightly golden. Transfer cookies onto a cooling rack to cool.
- Melt chocolate in a bain-marie (double boiler). Stir until chocolate is melted and remove from heat.
- Using a teaspoons fill in the moulds until they're full. Allow to cool for 10 minutes then place in the fridge until hardened.
- Once hard, gently remove chocolate toppings and trim with a knife. Repeat the process until you have enough toppings for all the cookies.
- To attach chocolate to the cookie, simply take some of the melted chocolate and spread it on top of the cookie and press the chocolate toppings on top.
TIP: If you find the chocolate toppings a bit difficult you can pour melted chocolate in a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and follow the same instructions. OR you can make chocolate filling: Bring in a boil 5.6 oz (160 grams) heavy cream and pour it on top of the chocolate chips. Stir until smooth and let it cool down. Then spread some of the filling in have of the cookies and top them with the other half. There you have it, chocolate filled petit beurre cookies.