Intro: Organic Pear Pie
I'm making organic pear pie from fresh pears picked right off the tree
Step 1: Make the Pie Crust
!!!!!!MAKE SURE TO MAKE PIE CRUST DOUGH BEFORE YOU MAKE FILLING!!!!!!!!
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
1 cup (2 sticks or 8 ounces) unsalted butter, very cold. ( i used 1 cup solid coconut oil)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
6 to 8 Tbsp ice water
1. Put flour, sugar, and salt into the bowl of a food processor and pulse a couple times to mix.
2. Add about half of the butter to the food processor and pulse a few times. Then add the rest of the butter and pulse until the largest pieces of butter are about the size of large peas.
3. Slowly add 4Tbsp of ice water. Then add more ice water, a tablespoon at a time, pulsing once or twice after each addition until the dough just barely begins to hold together. Be cautious with the amount of water you add, too much and the crust will be tough too little and the dough won't hold.
4. Carefully empty the crumbly dough mixture from the food processor on to a clean, dry, flat surface. Gather the mixture and make two dough disks
Do not over-knead! Kneading toughens the dough, Sprinkle each disk with a little flour, wrap each one in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for one hour or up to 2 days.
5. Remove a crust disk from the refrigerator. Let sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes in order to soften just enough to make rolling out a bit easier.
Step 2: Slicing the Pears
Pick your pears and be careful not to let them fall and bruise. Bring them inside and wash them. Leave them on the table to soften. There's no need to refrigerate them. I'm using Bartlett Pears.
If you don't have a pear tree simply buy some organic pears.
Wash and peel the pears. Then cut the tops and bottoms off of them, cut them into fours and core them. Thinly slice (but not too thin) the pears. I did 4-5 pears and had some left over. You probably only need 3 pears depending on the size of your pears
Step 3: Start Making the Pie
Take the second disk of pie dough out of the refrigerator.
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon lemon zest
5 cups peeled and sliced pears
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F. Put a baking sheet on the bottom oven rack. Combine sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, and lemon zest in a bowl.
Roll out the first disk of the pie dough that you took out and line the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan.
Put the pear slices in layers in the pan, sprinkling the sugar mix over every layer until full.
Speck with butter and sprinkle with lemon juice. (optional I did without and it turned out fine)
Roll out the rest of the dough for the top layer of crust. Use your finger dipped in a bit of water to moisten the rim of the bottom crust. Put the top crust over the filling. Cut slits in the top layer of crust to allow steam to escape. Bake in the preheated oven on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 35 to 40 minutes longer.
Mines baked for 45 minutes. Allow cooling before serving.
Step 6: Enjoy!!
The pie was so good my family ate it before I could take a pic of a slice.
Try making this you won't regret it!
I got my recipes from the following: