This origami rose is made with a single piece of paper, no glue or cuts. It can be made with any paper - regular printer paper, thinner or slightly thicker paper. It is the most requested tutorial to make on my instagram, so let's get started!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: What You'll Need
Step 2: The Grid
If you are using paper with colour on one side only, start with the coloured side down. The pictures are showing the opposite to make it more clear.
1. Fold square into diagonals
2. Fold one edge and align with diagonal
3. Fold opposite edge to diagonal
4. Fold in half
5. Fold one side in half again
6. Fold in half one more time
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 on other side
8. Unfold everything
9. Repeat steps 2 to 8 with the other diagonal
10. You should end up with a square grid
Step 3: Precreasing
Now we will be separating the square into four parts, the next steps will be the same in all four parts.
11. Starting from the middle of the square, count one square down and four squares to the right.
12. From 11, count two squares down and one square to the right. Fold between the two points.
13. From 11, count two squares up and three squares to the right. Fold between the two points.
14. From 13, fold diagonally down two squares and about 1/3 to the third square. Fold between point 12 and 14.
Repeat this process on the other three parts of the square.
15. Fold a straight line from point 14 to the edge of the paper. Repeat on the other three parts.
16. Diagonally crease the middle two squares.
17. From the ends of 16, diagonally crease all squares to the end of the paper. Repeat on the other three parts.
Step 4: Folding
All the precreasing is done, the next steps shouldn't be newly formed folds.
18. Mountain fold the straight line and valley fold the diagonal line, repeat on the other three sides.
19. There should be a square in the middle, push down the triangles to make a cross
20. Slightly open up one of the flaps and mountain fold creases from steps 12 and 13, valley fold creases from 14. Mountain fold crease from step 15. Repeat on the other three sides.
21. Valley fold along the indicated line to tuck in the edge, repeat on all sides.
22. Looking at the bottom of the flower, open up a petal and you will see a 4-square grid. Mountain fold the indicated line and valley fold diagonally towards the edge. Repeat on all sides.
23. This is what the bottom of the rose looks like now.
24. Open up one of the petals, mountain fold the side of the square, valley fold diagonally to shape petal.
25. Repeat on all sides, this is what the bottom should look like.
Step 5: Shaping
Use the tweezers in the middle of the rose by swirling and twisting. This part makes a huge difference to the final shape of the rose.
You can now shape the petals into your desired shape. I fold down the petals on all four sides, but the shaping can be however you want.
Aand you're done! Hope you enjoyed this tutorial.