So, when I came home a few days ago, I found a bunch of asparagus lying around in our kitchen- and what else would I do with it if not making a super-easy super-tasty risotto out of it? To be honest, I haven't made an asparagus risotto ever before, but I figured it couldn't be harder than making any other risotto, and since I have cooked plenty of others, I just tried to come up with a new recipe, so there it is- have fun cooking and EATING :)
Step 1: Gathering Your Ingredients
500 g Asparagus
2 Red Onions
500g Risotto Rice (I used Arborio)
1l of Vegetable Broth
1/2 Cup of Heavy Cream
Parmesan to serve with
Step 2: Preparing the Asparagus
1. Preheat oven to 200°C
2. Cut off the stringy ends of the asparagus and line them up on a baking tray.
3. Drizzle with Olive Oil (I used 3 tablespoons), season with salt (1 teaspoon) and pepper (just a pinch ;) )
4. Bake for around 20 minutes (you might want to turn them around after 10 minutes, so that they're roasted evenly)
5. After getting the asparagus out of the oven, cut it into pieces and set aside
Step 3: COOKING IT (the Risotto)
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a (large) pan, cut the onions into small cubes and stir-fry them shortly (around one minute)
2. Add the rice and cook it for a minute with the onions.
3. After that, add a spoonful of vegetable broth and let it be absorbed before adding the next. Continue with that until you've used all of the vegetable broth (that should take around 30 minutes). Make sure that the rice is soft and chewy before moving on to the next step .
4. Add the asparagus and 1/2 cup of cream
5. Season with salt, pepper and basil and add a spoonful of parmesan, stir to get everything well blended
Step 4: Serve and EAT
Got nothing to add to that ;) Enjoy!