Intro: Oyster Mushroom Salad
This is a delicious salad I make often. When I have a diner party, I also make this salad. and it's mostly the first bowl of salad that's empty. A success every time.
I use mostly organic ingredients to cook with. But sometimes I prefer a local ingredient instead of an organic one who needs to be flown in from another country.
The ingredients used in this recipe are half organic and half local or grown myself. And the fresh ingredients are all in season. The mushrooms can be easily be grown on a basic of coffee.
Step 1: Ingredients.
Ingredients. (serves 4 as a side dish)
* 200 g lettuce, any kind is good. I used curly red and green lettuce and iceberg lettuce. (home grown)
* half a cucumber. (I used local organic)
* 200 g oyster mushroom (home grown)
* 100 g lightly smoked raw ham of organic origin. (can be bacon, parmaham, schwarzwalder schinken, prosciutto) (I used local organic)
* 1 small organic onion or shallot.
* 2.5 tablespoons of a vinegar You like. This time I used red wine vinegar. But its also delicious with apple vinegar.
* 1 teaspoon of organic honey.
* 1 teaspoon of good mustard.
* 5 tablespoons of organic virgin olive oil.
* 3 tablespoons of Pine nuts.
* fresh grounded Pepper.
* Salt to taste. (just a pinch will do)
Step 2: Baking the Nuts, Ham and Mushrooms.
Roast the pine tree nuts in a dry frying pan over a medium heat. Until its slightly golden. (about 5 minutes)
In the meanwhile cut the ham in small slices and slice the mushrooms not to small.
Put the nuts in a big bowl and let them cool down.
In the same dry frying pan you now can bake the ham over a small to medium heat until it loosens fat and get's a little bit crispy. (about 5 minutes)
Put the baked ham carefully in the bowl with the nuts. You want to leave some fat of the ham in the pan.
Now bake the mushrooms in the fat of the ham until softens. this takes about 5 minutes.
Put the mushrooms by the nuts and the ham in the bowl and allow them to cool down a little bit.
Step 3: Prepare the Vegetables and Make a Dressing.
While the nuts, ham and mushroom are cooling down a bit, you can prepare the vegetables.
Wash and cut the lettuce into strips.
Wash and cut the cucumber into dice.
peal the onion and cut it very finely.
whisk in a bowl the olive oil and vinegar until they combine. Then add a lot of fresh grounded pepper. (I guess a teaspoon) the mustard, honey and a little salt.
You get a nice and smooth dressing.
Step 4: The Oyster Mushroom Salad.
Just before serving you combine lettuce, onion and salad dressing into the bowl of nuts, ham and mushrooms.
Toss until every ingredient is covered with dressing.
We had it this time with bio-organic salmon and organic baked potatoes.