The ingredients you need are:
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 1 green pepper, finely chopped
• ½ red pepper, boiled until soft and then cut into long thin strips
• 2 medium-sized tomatoes, skinned and finely chopped
• 2 carrots, finely chopped
• 200g prawns (if using cooked prawns substitute fish stock for the water)
• 200g small clams
• 200g squid
• 12 mussels
• 350g rice (traditionally short grain rice is used but I prefer to use long grain)
• 2 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
• a pinch of saffron strands (if you can’t get saffron, use yellow food colouring instead and add it once you have added the liquid)
• a sprig of parsley, finely chopped
• olive oil
• about 800ml water
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: MUSSELS
The first thing we have to do is cook and clean the mussels. We put it in a close pot and when mussels open we take of the shell. Keep some with de shell for decoration.
Step 2: COOK IT ALL
Peel the shrimps and cut the cuttlefish in pieces. Wash the clams with cold water under tap. Put the extra virgin oil and the red peppers in regular pieces in to the paella pan and fry with salt, garlic, pepper, parsley and stands of saffron. Blend and cook. Add grated tomatoes and cook for a minute. Add the clams and cuttlefish. Cook until the clams open, in this moment add the rice.
Step 3: READY TO EAT
We add the mussels without the sell and peeled shrimps. Decorate with unpeeled shrimps and mussels in the shell. Add hot water or broth and blend all. When the broth begins boiling reduce heat to low for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and we let it rest covered during 4-5minutes.
And now we only have to serve
Step 4: The History of Paella
The paella rises in rural zones of Valencia between XV and XVI. Because the fieldman needed to eat at noon and this was a easy food to cook.They used the same vegetables that they harvest. They always ate at noon.
The origin of the paella comes from its principal ingredients: the rise that came to Europe from Asia approx 330 B.C. Then there was a large period until they added oriental Spain ingredients. In the beginning it was named patella, the food it’s older than the date of the Roman Empire.