Ever since I saw Pacific rim, I wanted to create my very own drive suit. So I did some searching and unfortunately couldn't find any pattern that i could use. So i just went freehand like one of the users in therpf site. I found that it was a lot fun working without patterns as it allowed me to make changes on the design based on my physical structure.
The rubber sheets are 12"x12" in size. For this chest and back piece, I have used about 7&1/2 pieces.
For the connections on the lower left of the chest, they are just a bunch of washers from old hdd and a cap from an old perfume bottle.
The tricky part is drawing the pattern. As said, I just laid out several photos from google images and tried to get it as close as possible.
Step 1: Paint and Details
Spray painting rubber sheets as some already know is frustrating since it is so porous that it doesn't become glossy. So what I did was coat the whole thing with Elmers glue let it dry and then spray painted the whole thing white. Made some leaks marks with water color and then spray painted with clear coat. For detail purposes, a friend gave me some bolt and washers. Made some holes andJust stick it on using instant glue.
Step 2: Damaged Chest Plate
I wanted to make a heavily battle damaged suit like the ones you see in google images when you search for pacific rim suit. So I picked a location and set it on fire literally. I would put the flame out if it achieved the look I wanted. For the insides I just used an old keyboard flex circuit and some old mesh screen with hexagonal pattern.
Also made some passes using black water color the around the bolts and on the chest area to make look like scuff marks.
Step 3: Break the Helmet
Pep files for the helmet is in here :
In keeping with the damaged effect. the helmet visor also received breakage on one side. I made the visor from foam since finding a clear plastic would be difficult.