This is my first instructables, so comment very recommended
I have so many tools that lying around in my room, and it takes so much space. When my friend from outer space come, they can't sleep peacefully because my room so small (about 2.4 x 2.8 meters). And another problem are, i don't have proper table to make my electronic project and proper shelves to store my tools.
In this instructables, i am using basic hand tools and drill. Because i make it manually and this is first time there so many mistakes. And also my English not very good, but sometimes picture can talk :)
Step 1: Draw First
As you can see, i want to make shelves and table at the same time. Its just ugly drawing :))
- First thing to do is write the dimension of your shelves and table. Because i am from indonesia, the standart table height is 0.75m and the chair 0.43m. You can customize your size according to your body and your country standard, or just see IKEA catalog.
- Because i want to make small table just for soldering and small electronic project the width is 0.6m and depth 0.09m (pallet size)
Step 2: Tools and Material
What we need here
- Pallet wood (plane it first) i bought it 5$ for 10 piece 1.2x0.09x0.01m
- Steel ruller, combination square , pencil and tape ruller
- Saw with fine tip, Battery drill, chisel, and mini planer
- wood glue ( i am using titebond II)
Step 3: Cut the Wood
Now we need to cut the wood acording to our needed.
What we need is combination square , ruler and pencil.
- set the wood length
- scratch it using needle that come from combination square
- saw it
- trim the sharp wood using plane
TIPS : Scratch wood first after that using pencil, it will leave mark better.
Step 4: Make Finger/box Joint
To make this joint, first we need to measure the wood thickness, in my case 1.4cm
- So we need to mark 1.4 cm from the edge of the wood and mark it using combination square. Don't forget to line in the thickness area too for your saw guide.
- Mark the area that will be removed
Step 5: Finger Joint
- first we saw the area that will be removed (inside line)
- after that for the center, we saw it diagonal
- using sharp chisel, remove the leftovers ( top first after that knock from the side)
do like this for the other wood
Step 6: Attach the Bottom Part
after attach the top finger joint using glue, now for the bottom.
For bottom i am using rabbit joint. To do this first we need to make 2 line that have width same with thickness of the wood, and the depth is 6mm.
- First cut it using saw ( don't forget mark it, so you don't cut it all )
- using sharp chisel, remove the mid area.
- attach it using glue and bolt (if needed)
Step 7: Make the Table Top
To make the table top we combine the strip wood using glue.
- fist cut in to same length
- trim the side so it is flat (in my case not very flat )
- add glue and clamp it
- plane the joint area so it is flat
Because i don't have long clamp, i am using area near my room ( or you can use your door), and add 2 vertical wood clamped ( it will give force to the side ). And because i don't have biscuit joint or dowel, i am make 2 support wood so it is stronger.
Step 8: Attach the Hinge
This is the tricky one.
To attach this part, you must make sure that the pivot area is at the center, so when it closed there will be no gap at all.
- first mark the area
- then using chisel remove the area with the depth half of hinge pivot
- then attach the screw
Step 9: Add Support and Middle Shelves
because i want to make it open easy, i add a gas spring ( i don't know what its name) that i found lying at home.
or you can just add triangle support that fold inside using hinge (sorry don't have material to make it) :((
-I add a support using scrap wood, with hinge and bolt. I don't measure the size, because you can make it according to your needed. I am just share the mechanism. [ its only at the right because its enough to support my right hand]
-Add mid shelves using same technique like bottom
Step 10: Finish
After sanding it all, and trim the sharp edge using hand plane.
What i want to add is plywood at the back, so my tools can hanging. but i have to wait for next month pocket money *sad
After i got my pocket money, i buy a plywood and attach it. Put your tools there :))
Maybe if i have powertools i can make better shelves better, faster and precise