In this instructable I'll show you how I made a farmhouse style coat rack with cubbyholes and chalkboard using reclaimed pallet wood.
- Pallet wood
- MDF for the chalkboard
- Wood glue
- Coat hooks x2
- Spray paint, grey primer and black chalkboard
Before starting I recommend watching the video tutorial.
As with most of my pallet wood builds it starts with an idea, quick sketch and then I jump straight in. I had no actual measurements for this as I like to work with whatever pallet wood I have.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Back Board
The first job was to make the back board. It was a simply case of attaching planks together using dowels and wood glue.
Once dry, I cleaned the board up with a plainer and a belt sander.
Next I cut off the ends to square it up making it 55 x 40 cm
Step 2: Shelf & Cubbyholes
The next job was to make the shelf, brackets and cubbyholes.
I attached two planks together with dowels and wood glue, this was for the shelf brackets (the ends). Once dry I cut to length and cut out a curve at the bottom to make it a little more interesting, I also did the same for the top (see images).
Next I made the shelves by gluing and clamping two planks together (x2). Measured to length and cut.
Using an off-cut from one of the side brackets I made the piece to go in the middle of the shelves to give me two cubbyholes.
Step 3: Making the Chalkboard Frame
Taking two pallet wood planks I measured them and cut them lengthways.
Next I cut out a 6mm groove lengthways (rabbit) using my router table.
Then I measured for the size of the frame and cut out 45 degree angles (see image).
Once I had my frame, I then measured for the chalkboard and cut out a pierce of 6mm MDF. I spray-painted using grey primer and then black chalkboard paint.
Step 4: Finish
I glued and screwed the parts together and gave the whole thing a coat of walnut satin varnish. I painted the chalkboard frame separately to avoid getting varnish on the black area.
Finally, I added the coat hooks and mounted to the wall.
Participated in the