Intro: Palletwood Nursery Bed
I would like to show you guys, how my wife and I build this nursery bed out of beech palletwood and parts of an old afzelia (some kind of african hardwood) windowframe.
Step 1: Preparing the Rough Palletboards
We had a big amount of different types of palletwood to choose from. So we decidedto take a bunch of rough beech boards. We planed and jointed them until we got straight and even sides and surfaces. It made quite a mess, but we were left with some nice boards now.
Step 2: Sawing the Boards to Its Proper Size
The next step was sawing the boards to the proper size. We decided to take the messurements wich we needed to get the top of the babybed the same height our parentsbed is. We did most of the cutting on our homemade tablesaw.
Step 3: Start Building the Components
We startet building by predrilling holes and connecting the single parts with woodglue and screws.
Step 4: Assembly
After the single parts were assambled, we could connect them all piece by piece. To hide the screwheads, we countersunk them. We took a long and thin rope and pulled it around the workpiece. Then we messured from corner to corner, to make sure that the courpus is square. After everything dried, we could assamble the battens that carry the matrass
Step 5: Hiding the Screws
We found some leftover scrapwood from an old windowframe made out of afzelia. To hide the countersunk holes we decided to cut the wood into long strips, just the right size to cover the holes. At the discsander ( but you can just use any other type of sanding) the strips got sanded in an pyramid angle. The finished head got cut off after every new sanding. We repeated it a lot and got a cover for every screwhole we made. We rounded the sharp edges by handsanding.
Step 6: Finishing
To finish our nurserybead, we sanded erverything smooth and rounded over all the sharp edges. We wanted to protect the wood with an organic oil and choose walnutoil. You can buy it in nearly every discounter. We put on three very thick coats, let every coat sip in for a short time and then wiped off the excess. After all we let it dry for a day or two.