Dear friends, Its me Vincent John.
Here is how to make a low cost, but a beautiful paper lantern for your indoor room decorations. Paper generates amazing shadows. If you love to make a lantern for yourself instead of spending a lot of money in buying a ready-made one then this tutorial is for you. First of all, How patience you are, better will be the perfection. So take your own time to get the best results. This is my first tutorial and I apologize for all my mistakes in this tutorial. So lets make our Paper Lantern.
[I am not a native English speaker, so kindly forgive me if my English is poor.]
Kindly Watch video for visual instructions and subscribe.
Step 1: Materials Required
- Sharp Cutting Blade
- Chart Paper (350/400 grams per square meter in thickness)
- Bulb Holder
- LED Bulb (Warm Light)
Step 2: Cut Strips of Following Measurments
We need 8 paper strips of following measurements. Each strip is different from others in length and breadth. And we number each one as 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. We use these numbers till the end of the tutorial.
Length : 78 cm , Breadth 4.2 cm
Length : 70 cm , Breadth 4.0 cm
Length : 62 cm , Breadth 3.8 cm
Length : 54 cm , Breadth 3.6 cm
Length : 46 cm , Breadth 3.4 cm
Length : 38 cm , Breadth 3.2 cm
Length : 30 cm , Breadth 3.0 cm
Length : 26 cm , Breadth 2.8 cm
Step 3: Divide Each Strip Into Four Partitions
Divide each strip into four partitions each having following measurements as shown in figures.(Note: In each strip after partitioning into 4 divisions you will get an extra 2 cm. This 2 cm is for pasting two ends of strip together to get squares.)
- 19 cm
- 17 cm
- 15 cm
- 13 cm
- 11 cm
- 9 cm
- 7 cm
- 6 cm
Step 4: Bend Each Strip to Get Squares
Now each strip is having four partitions of equal length. So bend along each divisions to get a square as shown in figure. Do it for all eight strips.
Step 5: Make Some Cuts for Joining These Squares
Now we need to make some cuts on each side of these eight squares in order to join them together. Follow the measurements given in picture for each squares and make cuts of 0.7 cm depth inwards. Try to follow the exact measurements provided, else the squares may not be able to put together. I found those measurements by drawing the geometric pattern of lantern model (figure.9). If you are interested try yourself or you can directly use the measurements given.
Then we need to cut a line along the length of the topmost square strip as shown in figure 10. Follow the measurements in figure and make the same cut on all four sides. This cut is required for the square numbered 1 only.
Step 6: Paste Both Ends Together to Finish All Squares
Now paste both ends together to finish the square parts as shown in figures. Do this for all eight strips. Now we are finished with the squares.
Step 7: Make the Top
Now we need a top to include the bulb and to hold the lantern. So to make the top follow the steps and respective figures:
- Cut out a square of 20 cm length and draw an inner square of length 7 cm at the center. Also draw the diagonals of the inner square.
- Cut through the diagonals of inner square.
- Cut out a cross of provided measurements as shown in figure 3.
- Cut out a circle of diameter that fits to the diameter of your holder.
- Paste 4 and 2 together as shown in figure 5. All four leaves should be pasted together.
- Final image of Top.
Step 8: Assemble Lantern
Now we are finished with the parts and ready for its assemble. To assemble our lantern follow the steps below:
- Join each square by inserting the respective cuts we have made. You can either join the squares in the order 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 or 8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1.
- Squares 1 and 2 are fixed.
- Squares 1,2,3 and 4 are fixed.
- All squares are fixed.
- Now apply some fevicol (a type of glue, you can use any kind that works with paper) on all joints using a stick.
- Connect the wires to the holder.
- Insert the holder into the cabin we have made on the top.
- Tight the holder cap to the holder so that the top gets fixed in between the holder and holder cap.
- Now insert the corner of top into the cut we have made along the length of the topmost square.
- Insert all four top corners into the respective cut along the length of the topmost square.
- Finally give a slight bend upwards on all four corners that project outwards on the top to give a distinctive upturned "artichoke leaf" design of Chinese roofs.
Step 9: Paper Lantern
Now we are finished with our Paper Lantern. I hope you all enjoyed and try it yourself. Once more I apologize for all my mistakes in this tutorial. Thanks!