I designed this TV Console to keep all the peripherals out of sight. Most of the stuff that goes in it need ventilation and IR remote connectivity, hence the open / grilled design which eliminates the need for handles as well.
I bought my first woodworking tool in June 2014 with no prior woodworking training or experience and this project was completed by October 2014. So it really doesn't require a whole lot of experience but I certainly recommend that you build smaller things first to get comfortable using woodworking tools if you decide to build one yourself.
Here is my website with more information and plans on this and other projects of mine. But go ahead and finish reading this post first
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Initial Design in 3D
I wanted it to be simple with one major design feature: the curve pattern that appears as sort of an illusion.
I used Rhino and Grasshopper to 3D Model the console. Entire form is generated using 4 curves and those curves are controlled by 4 points each.
I originally planned to use walnut but figured a lighter toned wood would bring out the curvature better. Ended up going with poplar which I'm glad i did. Great wood to work with, affordable and looks good if you avoid buying the green stuff.
Step 2: Making the Front Panels
I printed templates for each slat and cut them with the bandsaw. Then I made some spacers to help with the glue up. Each panel is made of 16 slats and there are three panels.
Step 3: Building the Box
Step 4: Test Fitting and Adjustment
Test fitting the front panels onto the box with clamps to make fine adjustments.
Step 5: Making the Legs
Legs are designed to match the faceted, sharp edges of the rest of the console. It is an octagon at the top and a square at the bottom. 90 degree sides have a constant width of 3/4".
Step 6: Testing in Its Place After Installing All Panels and Fine Sanding
Sanded to about 200 grit before mounting all 3 panels using No Mortise Hinges. Not the easiest thing to align the panels perfectly with this kind of hinges but it worked after a few tries.
Step 7: Surface Finish
I sealed the wood with thinned shellac (one coat of 3/4 Shellac+1/4 Denatured Alcohol). This step is necessary when using certain wood species that are known to be blotchy. I then used 4 coats of Satin, Wipe on Polyurethane while lightly sanding in between each coat.
I placed a black shelf liner inside which helped hide what's inside.
Step 8: Lighting
Finally, I installed LED strip lights, which turned the TV Console into a lantern. When we watch a movie, we now turn off all the lights except the "lantern"
Micho seems to like it too.