Gag gifts are so much fun at Halloween. This gag gift will surely get some screams from all the girls at your party. You give it to them in the dark and let them use the flash light to see it. It has quite an impact on the receiver! There is a secret to making the finger look more real. Read the next few pages to see what it is.
Step 1: Supplies
- Boiled hot dog
- Empty Altoids can.
- Small white cotton cloth or napkin.
- Small piece of tin foil for the ring.
- Small package of sticker jewels for the ring.
- Red food coloring or ketchup.
- Small scrap of white paper for the note.
- Pen for the note.
- Turnip for the finger nail.
- Small paring knife to carve the finger.
- Finger flash light for the scream!
- Roll Scotch tape.
- Black construction paper to cover the lid.
- Small sticker package for embellishing.
- Small magnet to attach the finger flash light to the lid.
- Scissors for cutting the black paper to embellish the lid.
Step 2: Decorate the Lid
- You can leave the lid plain or decorate it like I did.
- Trace the lid over the black paper.
- Cut it out.
- Tape it to the lid.
- Add the stickers.
- Tape a magnet to the finger light.
- Stick it to the lid.
Step 3: The Ring
- Fold a small piece of tin foil to form a ring by folding it the size you need.
- Add the jewels.
- Over lap the ends to form the ring.
- Tape it.
- Stick a small piece of the tape to the ring so it will stick to the can with the stones showing.
- Place the ring in the can after the finger is made.
Step 4: Carving the Hot Dog
- This finger did not turn out as nice as my other one did and I figured out why.
- I did not trim one side of the finger on my other dog.
- Instead I trimmed the finger top like the picture shown and made a slit for the turnip fingernail to slide under.
- Trim a thin slice of the turnip.
- Form the finger nail.
- Slide it in the slit to look natural.
- Notice how I trimmed the hot dog leaving some flesh around the finger nail in picture 1.
I used a picture from a previous tutorial because I wanted to show how to make it look much better than this one.
Step 5: Wrap the Finger
You may want to practice different methods on a plate before placing the finger in the can.
You also want to apply the food coloring just prior to the prank for a more realistic effect.
- Wrap the finger in the white cloth or napkin to look real.
- Place it in the tin.
- Sprinkle a little red food coloring around the finger to look realistic.
- Add a couple of drops on the tin bottom in plain site.
- Write the note.
- Carefully flick a few drops of food coloring to the note. You might try using a tooth brush for that effect.
- Place the note in the can.
Step 6: Sunshiine's Final Thoughts
The object is to pull this off in a dark room for the best results. Hand it to a good candidate. Ask them to see what is in the box using the flash light or make up a good story line. You will get a big laugh from their response! I have a different tutorial with a finger that might interest you here: https://www.instructables.com/id/Gourmet-Jotoze/.
I hope this tutorial has been useful in choosing a prank for Halloween. Please stop in again soon and see what else I am making. I live here at Instructables! LOL! Meanwhile have a Happy Halloween and be safe!