I wanted a table for my back patio but when I started pricing them I discovered that I could either pay $80 or more for a nice one or get a really cheap and flimsy table for about $20. Neither choice sounded good, so I thought of a way to make my own. I had an old coffee table in my shed that I had used before but it had a glass table top and since I have grandkids who visit I didn't want to have to worry about one of them getting a little rambunctious and breaking the glass. The table itself is solid wood and sturdy. I knew I could get some 1" x 4" x 8' boards and make a new table top.
Step 1: Supplies Needed
You will need an old wooden table frame, 1" x 4" 's, I needed 5 of them. (I cut 2 boards- 36" out of each one) wood glue, nails or screws, jigsaw, sandpaper paint and paint brush.
Step 2: Sanding the Old Table
Using the sandpaper, sand off as much of the old paint as you can.
Step 3: Cut Boards
Measure the top of your table. Mine was 36" x 36". A typical 1" x 4" is not really 4" wide, it's a little less, so keep that in mind. Mark each board, trying to avoid the knots, these can be difficult to cut through.
Step 4: Glue Boards Onto Table
Mark the center of the table on opposite sides. If you need an even number of boards like I did, place a board on either side of the center line. If you are using an odd number of boards, place the middle of the center board on the center line. Use a glue that is made especially for wood. Put the boards on the table and let the glue dry for at least an hour before you attempt to nail them down.
Step 5: Nail Boards Down
Nail 2 nails in the end of each board, The nails I used were 1-1/2" long. Make sure they go into the table below.
Step 6: Paint Table
Since this table is going to be outdoors, I used Kilz paint, it will be kept under an awning but it will still be out in the elements. Turn the table upside down and paint the legs and sides. Allow to dry for at least an hour. Turn right side up and paint the top of table. I gave it 2 coats. I'm happy with the way my table turned out. It's very sturdy and should last a long while. I spent about $25 on this project.