After discovering the joys of using freeze-dried corn in baked goods, I had to give some other dehydrated veggies a shot as well.
Green peas and pistachios are a classic and truly outstanding combination, and light and crisp biscotti seemed like as good a vehicle as any to showcase them. Brilliant green and delicious, the outcome was even better than I could have hoped for. These delicious little snacks are lightly sweet and perfectly highlight the nutty, creaminess of pistachios alongside the fresh and sweet hints of peas.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: You'll Need. . .
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/8 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Large pinch of salt
- Splash of vanilla extract
- 1 cup freeze-dried peas
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup shelled pistachios
- White chocolate for dipping (optional)
- Food processor or clean coffee/spice mill (or mortar and pestle) to grind the dried peas
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Sheet pan lined with parchment paper
- Serrated knife
Step 2: Visualize Whirled Peas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In the food processor or spice mill, grind the peas to a fine powder
- Combine with baking powder and salt and set aside
Step 3: Getting Doughy
- If your pistachios are still in the shell, shell and roughly chop them
- Combine the butter and sugar
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix well
- Pour in the ground peas, baking powder, salt, and flour and mix well
- Add pistachios and mix to combine
Step 4: Bake, Slice, Bake
- Form the dough into a log about 3 inches by 13 inches on a parchment-lined baking sheet
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly golden brown on top
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes
- Using a serrated knife, cut into diagonal slices about a half-inch thick
- Place the slices on a baking sheet and bake about 10-15 minutes
- Allow to cool fully
- If you'd like, dip the cooled biscotti halfway into melted white chocolate (I'm not a big fan of white chocolate so I opted not to)
- Enjoy with your favorite latte or a cup of mint tea with lemon and honey!
Participated in the