Intro: Peach Juice and Blueberry Infused Vodka
Peach juice and blueberry infused vodka is a delightful and fun late summer drink my wife and I enjoy. The upfront work is well worth the effort for a drink to relax with at the end of a summer day. The list of ingredients is pretty simple:
- Peaches (or peach nectar)
Step 1: Infusing Vodka
Infusing vodka with a flavor is a simple task of immersing the source of the flavor in the vodka and waiting an appropriate amount of time. For this drink we'll be making blueberry infused vodka, but many fresh fruits or even herbs will work just as well.
The infusing process is split into two steps; adding the fruit and removing the fruit. Before starting the first step make sure to have everything you will need.
- Carboy or glass container
- Plug or lid
The items should be clean, though sterilization is not necessary.
- Rinse the fruit and let them dry.
- Put the blueberries into a bowl.
- Use the spoon to break the skins (do not crush) of the blueberries.
- Use the funnel to pour the blueberries into the carboy.
- Use the funnel to pour the vodka over the blueberries in the carboy.
- Use the plug to cover the contents of the carboy.
Once the fruit and vodka is in the carboy and sealed it can be set aside for 1 - 2 weeks. The flavor from the blueberries will infuse the vodka. Gently shaking the container is okey, but avoid vigorously shaking the container. The darkness of the vodka should give an indication of how complete the process has been. When the color stops changing should indicate that the flavor is as infused as much as it can.
The next step is to remove the fruit from the vodka. This step will require the following items:
- Vodka and blueberry mixture
- Original vodka container
- Funnel with filter
Everything should be clean again. And for best results the filtering process takes two steps.
- Put the funnel with the filter into the original vodka container.
- Pour the vodka mixture with the blueberries back into the original container to remove the whole blueberries.
- Clean the carboy and funnel with filter.
- Pour the vodka back into the carboy.
- Put the funnel with filter and lined with cheesecloth back into the original vodka bottle.
- Pour the vodka through the cheesecloth and filter to remove the finer particles from the vodka.
- Put the original cap back onto the vodka bottle.
The blueberry infused vodka is ready for use.
Step 2: Make Peach Juice
You do not need to make your own peach juice, but it is fun today anyway when making your own drinks. And it makes great use of bruised or otherwise imperfect peaches which you can usually get a deal on at the local fruit stands if they are in your area.
Make sure you have everything on hand before starting the juicing process.
- Cutting board
- Funnel with filter
- Glass juice container
Making fresh juice can take up to about an hour. Everything should be cleaned before use, but sterilization is not necessary.
- Wash the peaches.
- Cut the peaches into halves or quarters.
- Discard the peach pits.
- Insert the peaches into the juicer.
- When the juice receptacle is about half full pour the juice through the funnel with the filter in place into the glass juice container.
- Remove the pulped material from the juicer as it becomes full. The pulp can be eaten or used as compost.
- Continue until all of the peaches have been used (emptying juice receptacle and juicer regularly).
- The juice will be frothy and the filter in the funnel will need to be cleaned regularly.
Peach juice stores for up to a week in the fridge, but you probably won't want to let it last that long. It is incredibly tasty and when mixed with the blueberry vodka it will be tough to keep it around even overnight.
Step 3: Mix Drink
The fresh juice and blueberry infused vodka is ready to be made into a drink.
- Blueberry Infused Vodka
- Peach Juice
- Drink Mixer
Mixing your drink can be very taste specific. A 2:3 ratio of vodka to peach juice is a good start.
- Pour the vodka into the drink mixer
- Pour the peach juice into the drink mixer
- Add ice to drink mixer
- Pour drink into glass
- Enjoy your blueberry infused vodka and peach juice drink