Introduction: Peanut Butter Energy Balls
Need a quick and healthy pick me up?! My dad to the rescue!
In this instructable, I will show you how to make my dad's peanut butter energy bites. He made them frequently for my siblings and me growing up as we were juggling school and sports. They are a healthy dessert and a good source of protein for after practice or a tough workout. They were even great for breakfast on a rushed morning. These bite sized energy balls will get you through your afternoons and even satisfy your sweet tooth! They lasted less than 24 hours in my household each time my dad made them.
Best part about them is they don't even require an oven and only take 20 minutes to make! Enjoy!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: What You'll Need
These peanut butter balls only call for five ingredients and a few toosl! You can find each of these ingredients at a local grocery store.
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup ground flax seeds
1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
2/3 cup of creamy peanut butter
2 tablespoons honey
These peanut butter balls are filled with healthy fats, protein, and fiber. Some benefits of the ingredients are:
Flax seed: One table spoon of flaxseed consists of 8 grams of fiber. It is also loaded with healthy fats, fiber and nutrients that can reduce risk of cancer and improve cholesterol.
Peanut Butter: Peanut Butter is a great source of protein that will keep you full and give you energy throughout the day. One serving has 7 grams of protein!
Old Fashioned Oats: They are rich in fiber and contain antioxidants. A cup of dry oats contains about 20 grams of fiber.
1 large mixing bowl
Measuring cups (1 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup)
1 table spoon measuring utensil
Step 2: Instructions
1. To begin, lay out each of your ingredients on your kitchen counter. Measure out each of the five ingredients and combine into a large mixing bowl. My dad and I always add the ingredients in this order from first to last: Old fashioned oats, flax seeds, chocolate chips, peanut butter, and honey.
2. After all the ingredients are in the large mixing bowl, take your spatula and stir them all together until your mixture is one large "clump."
3. When you have finished stirring, place your mixture in the refrigerator for fifteen minutes so your balls are easier to roll.
4. After 15 minutes, take the mixture out of the refrigerator. Take a pinch of the mixture and roll into balls that are about the size of a ping pong ball. This recipe should make about 12 energy balls!
5. Before eating any of them, place them back into the refrigerator for 30 minutes so they can harden and maintain their shape.
Step 3: Refrigerate and Enjoy!
Wa la! Just like that, you have a batch of peanut butter energy balls. For storage, keep them in the refrigerator so they stay nice and fresh. They will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to a week. Chances are high they won't last you that long. Make sure you get one before the whole family eats them all!
Enjoy a perfect on the go snack and tasty source of energy and protein!