Introduction: Pear and Leek Pasta
Tinned pears are a fantastic thing to keep on hand, whether it be for breakfast, dinner or dessert.
Prep Time: 5-10 mins
Cooking Time: 10 mins
- a small knob of butter (optional)
- oil, for cooking
- 1 medium leek, roughly sliced
- 1x 400g/14oz. tinned pears, roughly chopped into small chunks
- 80-100g (3-3½oz.) pasta - I'm using mini shells
- ½ tsp dried thyme, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 50g (¾ cup) fresh parmesan, grated
- use 2 fresh pears instead!
- fresh thyme or tarragon is great too!
- use sharp, mature cheddar instead
- replace parmesan with "vegan-friendly Italian-style cheese" to make it vegan
Stir it up by adding any of the following:
- bacon or pancetta
- leftover chicken or turkey
- cannellini beans
Step 2: Let's Begin...
Place a sauce/sauté pan over a low-medium heat.
Drizzle in some oil and melt in the butter (if using) before tipping in the leek and pear.
Season with salt and pepper, along with the thyme (or tarragon) and then gently cook.
Meanwhile, add the pasta to a pan of boiling, salted water.
A few minutes before the pasta is al dente, quickly scoop up some of the cooking liquid and then drain the pasta.
Tip the pasta into the other pan containing the leek and pear - where the pasta will continue cooking.
Pour in some of the starchy pasta water (around 4-5 tablespoons) and then sprinkle in some grated parmesan.
Once the cheese has melted, toss or shake the pan (or stir like fury) to emulsify the sauce.
Thanks for reading!
Recipe by Leah Hawks
All photos by Tatiana Kolavskaya and Leah Hawks
Participated in the